Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking around in the engine today and noticed this hose has melted. It has a hole in it, and you may be able to see it in the video.

Obviously this should be fixed, but is it acceptable that it has melted?

YouTube - April 28, 2011 18:14

·
Registered
22,491 Posts
I would change it out and keep an eye on it. Should be able to get replacement part(s) in the Help! section at most auto part stores.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Haven't seen anything like that. But I am not a mechanic and know only about my cars. Apparently, the plastic/rubber hose deteriorated from age and heat. Shouldn't be but not unexpected. As sheila said, the rubber hoses you can buy at auto parts stores are rated for automotive temps and should be okay.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also noticed a bit of smoke (like what comes out of this hose) coming from the left side of the back valve cover area.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I also noticed a bit of smoke (like what comes out of this hose) coming from the left side of the back valve cover area.
The hose in the video is your 'crankcase breather hose'...it works in conjunction with the PCV valve (which is what you may be referring to at the left side of the rear valve cover emitting the smoke) to flow air through the engine, removing harmful gases that get built up from the hot oil and pressure, then safely burn them in the in the combustion chamber and exit them out through the exhaust....I think? :dunno:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will replace it, hopefully that will get rid of the "engine" smell inside while driving.

·
Super Moderator
7,751 Posts
The hose didnt actually "melt", it just detererated from engine heat and oil vapors in it. VERY common problem.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
I am surprised to hear it is a very common problem. There are plenty of plastics that can withstand engine heat/oxygen/oil more than 10 years. Such technology existed back in the 90's. Ford knowingly chose an inferior material to save cost.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I changed it out yesterday, hopefully that will stop the exhaust fume smell in passenger compartment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts