Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang:
I'm trying to get some general feedback with what type of hose clamp pliers you may recommend? I'm thinking about getting these from Sears:

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

I usually do not like these spring type clamps but these clamps are actually good in design for a couple of reasons. 1st you never have to worry about them breaking (from my experience). I've had the worm gear clamps break. 2nd they always stay tight. Your hose is likely to fail before the clamps do.
If you have hose clamp pliers you like let me know. Thanks.

Monsoon

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
I have had those pliers for a while now, a must have for the clamps on these cars with the octopus plumbing on them IMO. Too many places you can't get pliers on the clamps easily.
Plus the Sears warranty and ease of exchange make it the choice IMO

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks...

Hey Gang:
Thanks for the feedback....Sears it will be.

Monsoon

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
REF: Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

After experiencing the Labor Day weekend of replacing this bitch of pipe/hose from down below the water pump; I must say these hose clamp pliers are a must however not the silver bullet for 5/8-inch spring clamps. For 5/8-inch clamps or smaller a good pair of channel lock pliers are better.

However anything larger than 5/8-inch clamps these pliers are a must. With its long cable you can snake these pliers just about anywhere. Water pump clamps and radiator hose clamps are a walk in the park with these pliers.

Monsoon

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Oh no, you didn't see the shortcut for replacing that line with a 22" piece of flex hose? Beats the $155 rubber/metal replacement part by about $130 less.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh no, you didn't see the shortcut for replacing that line with a 22" piece of flex hose? Beats the $155 rubber/metal replacement part by about $130 less.
I saw it but in my mind it's a band-aid fix and not a permanent solution. I took the OEM pipe off with 200K miles on it and replaced it with another with the same Motorcraft part. My original pipe really isn't that bad. It has some rust, I clean it up and sprayed Bondo undercoating on it to stop the rust and protect it.

Another year or two and I don't think the pipe would have been salvageable.

Monsoon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts