Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rubber molding around my windows has recently taken a really bad turn for the worse. In some parts of the trim the rubber looks a bit crocodilian in nature -- I think there's nothing that can be done. Other significant areas are begining to oxidize. I'm attaching 3 pics: The first is an overview. The second is a "BEFORE" close up, and the last one is an "AFTER" close up.

What I did was use a metal cleaner I had lying around. I know there's got to be a better way than this. This stuff was way beyond the Armorall stage, as you can see in the pictures.

Any suggestions on better stuff to use? Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
There is a black rubber paint in spry cans. It is a bumper paint. This would work if you wanted to refinish it.

J

·
0 Posts
Looks like whatever you used worked pretty well.
You'll have to let us know what exactly it is that you used.
I'd get a coat of Amor all on there to protect it now.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Yeah, what did you use?My trim is doing the exact same thing. I was just going to paint over everything this summer, but whatever you used seems to work just great.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used Blue Magic Metal Polish

I used a very little bit on a paper towel and worked about 3 inches at a time. I covered it with some Protectant 303 and am hoping that it will protect it well.

This metal polish is pretty harsh stuff. One one section I could tell I had been using too much pressure. I was hoping that there was something like this that could be used that was designed for this.

I'll keep you all posted on how it fares over time weathering and so forth. On the really bad spots (cracked crocodile-looking), this stuff does nothing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts