Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright guys, i have a 1997 taurus gl and i love it. i have been clocking how far i go on full tanks of gas. last fill-up i went 246 miles on a full tank, not to bad but not great. just recently i filled up and i only have a quarter of a tank left, having driven only 160 miles, what is up?? is something dirty or is this normal mileage?? it seems like its getting worse

thanks,

michael

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
The tank gauge is not the best for calculation. Was the car level. front to rear, left to right, when you filled it? Was it truly level when you saw it had 1/4 tank?

The real calculation involves recording mileage and number of gallons & tenths with each stop at the pump.

Since you have OBDII diagnostics, you should see a service engine soon / check engine light if something is throwing the fuel mixture way off. Check to see that the light illuminates with key on before starting the engine, just be sure it's not burned out.

Keep an eye on the tach as well. One favorite mode for diminishing mpg is a slipping transmission.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the advice, how do i tell if my tranny is slipping? also, my check engine has been on for a few months now, we brought it to the mechanic when it first went on and he reset it and said it had something to do with the cadilytic converter and not to worry, then it came back on and ive been driving with it on because ive assumed its just the same problem, should i get it checked out again?

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
QUOTE (michaeld92 @ May 4 2009, 09:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=722911
thanks for the advice, how do i tell if my tranny is slipping?[/b]
With the AX4S, unusual engine speeds for a given gear and/or sudden surges in engine speed outside of when the transmission downshifts. With the AX4N it's harder because when the latter is working right, you don't even feel it downshifting and a sudden rise in RPM may be nothing more than downshifting from 4th to 3rd or 3rd to 2nd.

... my check engine has been on for a few months now... something to do with the cadilytic converter ....should i get it checked out again?[/b]
Definitely. These codes at least point toward a solution, though many times, it's not a direct route.

This time, ask for the diagnostic code number. Something would appear to be wrong with your mixture, if the cat codes are occurring. Usually, it's a relatively simple fix -- for example, a vacuum leak.

The experts here at The Club (not me, by the way -- many, many experienced and trained folks) will be able to walk you through possible fixes, once they know the code number.

And don't miss the resources -- the Topic Finder, the Wiki and the Encyclopedia in the top navigation bar. Topic Finder has some pointers to threads about the most commonly-seen diagnostic codes (scroll down to Trouble Codes).

·
Registered
149 Posts
Usually mechanics will try to get you to let them fix it, rather than just saying don't worry about it. Cat clogging and/or affecting mileage is mentioned many times on this site, see if you have any similar symptons to try to help narrow the problem down. Good luck :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts