Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used 2009 Ford Taurus Limited last summer and absolutely love the car. Except for this one very confidence shattering thing. :angry:

Loud "clunks" from the passenger side front and rear wheel areas. Had it in earlier this year for the same thing on the drivers side. They replaced the drivers side "strut and bearing assembly". Noise was gone.

Took it in a couple of weeks ago and they said there was no noise. Test drove with a mechanic and the car never made the noise. As a matter of fact the noise didn't surface until 2-3 days later. (Now it is worse.) They showed me a Ford "bulletin" about "a strut noise that is normal."

I feel like I have been lied to from Ford.....and now have no confidence in them either especially after purchasing the Premium Warranty plan.

Any advice?

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
if it was normal it would sound like that when you drove it off the lot. sounds like sub par parts and ford doesnt want to do a recall. the only real way to get ford to address this problem is to find other owners of the same year and see if it is a normal noise for this year. if it is then you have to start putting pressure on ford. if no one else you find has the noise or has been servised then you have a leg to stand on. even going to a different dealer may help resolve your issue.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi, i also recently purchased a used 2009 Taurus SEL with 36k miles and has the same symptom you are having. I find it hard to believe that a car with that little miles would have worn out shocks unless they did put low quality parts in this year Taurus.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Take it to another dealer. They will take care of it. I've driven those cars with 100,000 plus miles and owned a 2008 Taurus X and they were tight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So now I have gone to a different dealer and they said it was the front end sway bars. So those were replaced. Again no noises driving away from the dealer so I thought the problem was fixed; yet again.

Well, ya'll guessed right. It's back and worse than ever. I am going to another dealer this next week for one more try. I might just have a local mechanic fix it just to get this put to rest. I am really disppointed with Ford as you can tell.

If any other ideas, please let me know. Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am having a similar problem. bought my 08 Taurus awd from a Mitsubishi dealer less than 4 days later there is this thump. took it back to them and they are replacing the strut mounts? I think thats the line I was given:huh:. God i hope they fix fords better than ford does?:rolleyes2:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am just puzzled that any part of the suspension system could be worn out already, this must be why Ford only has a 35K mile bumper to bumper warranty. Replacing the struts can't be harder on this ford than it was on my 77' 280z, it had inserts :)

·
Premium Member
14,356 Posts
I had to replace the rear driver side strut on my brother's 08 Mountianeer with 41K miles on it. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a new 2009 Taurus Limited. It started clunking ( front end) the dealer replaced a sway bar link.OK for a while.Got worse, took it back did not clunk when raining. Started again, took it to another dealer. Mechanic lubed bushings better but does not make sense , are bushings worn out, only have about 27,000 miles on this car but sometimes it sounds like it is falling apart.What can be done?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sounds to me like in 09 Ford installed some sub-standard suspension parts. There is no way these parts should be wearing out with 40k miles, unless you use your car for Baja rallies. I use RockAuto as a parts source on my other cars, did a quick search and they only supply Motocraft pats for my Ford. With this type of quality from the factory, i sure don't want anything OEM on my car :angry:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar issue with my 2011 SEL (28K Miles), turns out it was simply the engine mount bolt. Replaced it in 15 mins and cost $2.00... I would start there before looking for a bigger issue. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
I had a similar issue with my 2011 SEL (28K Miles), turns out it was simply the engine mount bolt. Replaced it in 15 mins and cost $2.00... I would start there before looking for a bigger issue. Good luck!
Interesting possibility but the 2009 Taurus and the 2011 are completely different cars. I think the 2009 used to be the Ford Five Hundred and in 2010 it was a completely new body.

·
Premium Member
6,641 Posts
I thought that the 2008-12 taurus had near identical drivetrains if not completely identical. They just changed it up in 2013. 05-07 Five Hundred was completely different. The 08/09 was very similar to the 05-06 Five Hundred though except for the drivetrain.

My 08 makes a clunking from the rear when its not loaded down. Could just be stuff in the trunk, but I just think its because the stiffer struts. Maybe they used better quality parts for the 2008MY though, I have no idea.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too received from the dealership a printout from Ford that a clunking sound around 50K miles is "normal". My vehicle is a 2009, purchased new in June of '09. I have taken it to two dealers, neither of which was able to fix it. Exhaust hangers insulators replaced, right hand axle seal replaced, left front upper strut mount and bearing replaced, front stailizer bar end links replaced. My car is still clunking over bumps, esp., at a slow speed.
This is 2009 FWD Limited, 3.5L V6 Duratec Engine, 6-speed auto transmission. It has 80 some thousand miles on it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts