Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My horns quit working yesterday and the CC never worked. I did some proble diagnosis and discovered that the horns and relay were ok. I know this because I accessed the grey connector at the right of the steering column and grounded out the yellow.lt green wire and the horns blare.
This tells me that the problem is somewhere in the steering wheel/column. So, as I have never taken the horn pad out of a Ford, I did a little reading in my trusty rusty Haynes manual. To replace the horn switches, it says to remove the 2 screws on the back of the horn pad and it comes right out. However, the next topic that they list is replacing the cc switches. In this, they say to take the car to a dealer to have the horn pad removed, due to there being an air bag underneath it. As this is obviously 2 contrary instructions, I don't want to proceed until I am sure of what I am doing.
So, do i just remove the negative battery connection, wait a couple of minutes and then remove the horn pad? f this is the right way to do it, what problems am I likely to have with the air bag, such as spilling out all over the floor in a big heap, etc.
I suspect either bad wiring or the clock spring is shot. If it si the clock spring, i thought of just wiring a momentary on switch to the yellow/light green wire going to the horn relay and then connnecting this switch to ground. The schematic for this part of the wiring (horn and cc) is unclear in the Haynes manual. Will it cause any unforeseen problems if i do this?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Disconnect the battery and then there are two screws on the back of the wheel.

I have a clock spring if you need one. They are easy to change.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did it all and discovered where the problem is at. My horn pad has 4 screws. After removing everything, I found that the purple/black wire that goes from the connector at the right of the steering column to the underside of the steering wheel had broken right at the wheel. How do I get the connject out so that I can solder the wire back on? Do I have to remove the wheel?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Paul,
Pardon me. I seem to have forgotten my manners.Paul, I want to thank you for the help and the offer of a clock spring. My only excuse for the rudeness was that I was all wrapped up in fixing my Bull. Again, thanks Paul!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts