Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the horn fuse (15amps) keeps blowing on my 2001 SEL i tried a 20 amp still the same the second you press horn it pops with a blue flash.
also noticed the cruise controll stopped working.
all worked well this morning
all other fuses are ok
any info would be very much apriciated
thank you

·
Registered
116 Posts
You have a major short circuit somewhere. Does the horn sound at all when you press it? Horn and cruise control both go through the clock spring mechanism behind the steering wheel.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
For starters, don't put in a higher amperage fuse when something like this happens. That's a great way to perform the "OMG MY DASH IS SMOKING :eek: " mod. :unsure:

Start by disconnecting your horns (someone with a GenIV, where are the horns located? I'm only familiar with GenI/II), putting in a 15A, and pushing the horn button. If the fues doesn't pop, then your horns are defective and require replacement. It's rare, but I've seen it once or twice. Now, if they do pop, then you've got a short somewhere in the harness between the horn relay and the horns themselves. A test light or a polarity tester will help you determine which wire is shorted, but will not tell you where, unfortunately.

All the same, good luck, and post back with any other questions.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im 28 days past my warrenty but still 5000km under millage
i have BASE CARE EXTENDED SERVICE PLAN
HOPE ITS COVERED

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok this morning i put a 15amp back in.
now cruise works fine and horn is ok BUT the horn sound is lower sounds muffled.
cant figure this out,
also where is the horn on the car , is there one or 2 horns

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
there is a bad connection at the cruise module most likley, also could be the clock spring in the steering coulmn. From your description, most likely the steering coulmn.

The horn goes through the cruise control, thats the relationship.

Brad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts