Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Taurus It blew a head gasket so I tore the engine down put the head gasket back in everything was running fine put spark plugs and wires in it had a dead mess put a EGR valve on it now when I crank it it surges and pops and skips and help help

·
Registered
168 Posts
If the problem started after you installed new plugs and wires..... Plug wires routed incorrectly? Bad plug? If it was running okay after the head gasket job, maybe put the old wires and plugs back in? Check for cracks at bottom of coil pack? Did you use cheap, aftermarket wires/plugs?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the problem started after you installed new plugs and wires..... Plug wires routed incorrectly? Bad plug? If it was running okay after the head gasket job, maybe put the old wires and plugs back in? Check for cracks at bottom of coil pack? Did you use cheap, aftermarket wires/plugs?
I put the best wires and plugs in and since have put old wires back on to no avail.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I replaced the EGR valve because it was 17 years old and Now it won’t run

·
Super Moderator
8,346 Posts
Ford EGR valves are a VERY rare fail. Try putting the old EGR valve back on and see what happens. In almost 50 years and a few million miles of owning mostly Fords I have never had to replace an EGR valve. Was the EGR valve a high quality name brand part and not some cheap POS from the discount parts store?

Are you 100% sure you didnt accidently disconnect / crack / break a vacuum line while you were under the hood?

Reactions: james27613

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is very possible on breaking something, I have looked at everything and don’t see anything broken,but going to get another set of eyes on it. Egr was from standard. Got it from oryilyes auto

·
Registered
73 Posts
The connector to the PCM. Loosen the screw, take out the connector, put it back in and tighten the screw.

Perhaps you took out the IAC connector while you worked on the EGR and forgot to put it back in.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The connector to the PCM. Loosen the screw, take out the connector, put it back in and tighten the screw.

Perhaps you took out the IAC connector while you worked on the EGR and forgot to put it back in.
Hate to be stupid but what is the I see is that the main computer cause I did unhook that big connector one time somebody told me to reset it

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hate to be stupid but what is the I see is that the main computer cause I did unhook that big connector one time somebody told me to reset it
If I unscrew it and then screw it back in do I need to unhook the battery first

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If I unscrew it and then screw it back in do I need to unhook the battery first
Because I did this job to start with just to learn how to do this stuff and I really enjoyed it but now I’m getting really annoyed

·
Super Moderator
8,346 Posts
What idiot (and I mean IDIOT!) told you to pull the connector off the PCM to reset it?

Either reset the PCM by unhooking the battery positive terminal for a minute or 2, or use a scan tool to reset the PCM. Check the PCM ground (ring terminal just below the PCM) for corrosion, looseness, etc.

You NEED to check for codes in the PCM and other modules (P, B, C, and U series codes). However if you do reset the PCM the codes will be erased and you will be back to square one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What idiot (and I mean IDIOT!) told you to pull the connector off the PCM to reset it?

Either reset the PCM by unhooking the battery positive terminal for a minute or 2, or use a scan tool to reset the PCM. Check the PCM ground (ring terminal just below the PCM) for corrosion, looseness, etc.

You NEED to check for codes in the PCM and other modules (P, B, C, and U series codes). However if you do reset the PCM the codes will be erased and you will be back to square one.
Hooked scan tool up and to much avail I have NO CODES.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts