Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading Mobiuslogic's recent post of his troubles finding a hole for power wires, I went to work today looking for any of these holes in the firewall. After about 25 minutes, I finally found this one, and decided to document it with pics for everyone else that has problems finding a place for their power wires without running them through the fender well or drilling. These pics are from my '99, but I would assume that all Gen III's could use this information. I have 5 pics to upload, so please don't post until I've posted them all.

Here's where to start: the engine bay. Many people say to start under the dash, but this is so much easier. I just used a flat head screwdriver to pop out the grombet, and the screwdriver is pointed out in the pics with a red arrow. Here, I have the screwdriver already pushed through the hole. Follow the length of the screwdriver back to locate it. You probably won't be able to see it without a flashlight, so make sure you have one.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here, you can see the screwdriver going through the hole. It's pretty good sized, so you shouldn't have any problems getting thick wires through.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's what you'll see when looking up from under the dash, again, using your flashlight. You should be able to see some light coming through the firewall if you do this during the day. The hole is just above and to the right of the fuse panel. If your screwdriver isn't long enough, you might want to have someone stand outside and wiggle the screwdriver so you can find it easier.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I stuck the camera up inside the dash to get this pic, so you won't be able to see this for yourself. It's just to give you a better idea of where the hole is in relation to the fuse panel.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now, go back to the engine bay and remove the screwdriver. This is what the hole looks like after you've punched the grombet out.

Now you're ready to run your power wires, without removing the cover in the wheel well and without drilling through the firewall :thumb:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
That is where I ran my power wires and my fog light switch wires in my 98.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would just like to point out that a 2001 Taurus also has this same grommet. I used this to run a hood pin switch through the firewall for a remote car starter.

I would also like to point out that if you are going to use this, you may as well just push the gromit out. It pushes into the car, so take a screwdriver, or something long that'll reach around your cruise control gear (I ended up taking mine off) and push it into the car.

If your car is like mine it has some sort of insulation/carpet all along the inside of the firewall, and the hole didn't line up 100% correctly so the whole process of putting the grommet back in is... difficult. You want arms a little bit scrawyner than mine... time to go find a band-aid... :unsure:

·
Registered
389 Posts
[sarcasm]Let's run a 10ga piece of wire connected directly to the positive post of the battery through an unprotected hole in the firewall so that it chafes, rubs through, shorts out and makes the car go up in a big ball of flames![/sarcasm]

Uhhh, ya may want to rethink the whole "may as well remove the grommet" idea there guys. Drill through it, but don't remove it.
Amazing......

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
I used a 1/4" piece of round bar and sharpened it on the grinder to poke thru the hole.

Everytime I tried to poke a screwdriver thru it popped the grommet.

I'm with jeckler you are asking for trouble if you run the wire against sheet metal.

Mike
B)

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
What I did on another persons car was use an 18" long 3/16" drill bit to put a hole in the grommet. Then using a coat hanger pull a wire through the hole. This didn't disturb the grommet at all.

On my car I have a piece of 1" hose that I use for "conduit" the grommet is long gone.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I used a piece of hard plastic tubing about the width of a pen... about 18" long. I shoved it through the gromet (there is a hole in the middle of it) from the inside (keeping the gromet in place) and than fed my wires through the tube untill they came out in the engince compartment. Then I removed the plastic tube by pulling it through into the engine compartment and off the wires.

This allowed me to keep the gromet in place protecting the wires, and I didn't have to drill through it.

-Xaque-

1 - 11 of 11 Posts