Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what the heck is going on here?? I had a 2002 taurus sedan that I took a trailer wiring harness from. it was the correct kind where you just plugged the harness into the cars factory harness and all was good...well,.........i ripped the interior paneling out of the 2001 wagon and there is no outlets like the one on my harness that came out of the 2002 sedan, so I'm assuming they arent the same wiring harness'. so my question is how do i hook up a trailer wiring harness to my 2001 wagon??? is it ok to just buy one universal harness and splice right into the taillights???

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Hmm...good question. I would like to know if I should decide to pull a trailer with my G3 Sable.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
G4 sedans have a different taillight harness than the wagons because the wagons have separate turn signals and reverse lights. You're most likely going to need to splice.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Since the signals are separate from the brake on a wagon you will need to wire in a trailer wiring converter...this puts the signal circuit onto the brake circuit as it is on the trailer.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Since the signals are separate found the brake on a wagon you will need to wire in a trailer wiring converter...this puts the signal circuit onto the brake circuit as it is on the trailer.
[/b]
Trailer Wiring Converter...can this be found at Uhaul?

·
Registered
60 Posts
This is provided the signal is in fact separate from the brake...that is the signal bulb is a different bulb to that of the brake light.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
It is on the wagons. The sedans have the turn signal and brakes on the same bulb.
[/b]
Depends on which Sable/Taurus you have. The G3 models (and earlier?) has a separate brake and turn signal bulbs and a definite safety feature in my book.

·
Registered
547 Posts
So is there some sort of diagram for the right way to splice into it.I'm in the same boat.Just installed hitch and needing to install the 4 pin connector as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
does anyone have a manufacterer and model number for a trailer light harness for the wagon? i'm looking and have had no luck. For a 2003 taurus WAGON.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I haven't found a "plug and play wiring harness" for my 96 Wagon in the eight years I've owned it. I bought a commercial made "plug and play wiring harness" for a Taurus sedan, and I'm planning on using 3M Scotch Lock "splicers" to attach it to the wiring harness.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i will say this i have changed way more trannys in taurus with trailer hitch than without do that at your own risk and then the next three post will be guys saying that its fine to

bs

·
Registered
62 Posts
I bought a "Hoppy" brand converter part #46155 Universal Kit for my 02 Taurus Wagon. I have not installed yet. But my car was listed for this converter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts