Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking these forums the past couple weeks, looking for fixes to a number of small things wrong with my Taurus.
However, this one seems beyond me. I bought this car about a year ago used. At the time, the handle for the hood release was already broken off, and they had a vice grip holding the wires. Pull that and pop goes the hood.

Problem is, every time I need to pop it, I end up pulling a wire or so out. It's getting bad. I'm worried about ending up with nothing left to grip, and ending up crawling under the car to get the hood open. As I do a lot of work on it, that is not good.

My question: How do I fix it? Would the whole wire mechanism need to be redone? That would be a PITA and beyond my abilities. That's what it's looking like. Any ideas?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
FYI, I've searched for this, found similar things, my question mainly is if I can get a new handle attached somehow.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Your best bet will be to run a new hood release cable, sorry. unless you can crimp on a new end. Not the most fun job in the world, but quite doable.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
look for a cable splice at the local hardware store if you need to add some cable. the double splice is the best. used it in the past and worked well. then hit up he local self serve junk hard with a pair if good pair of wire cutters and find a good one.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I have to run a new cable, how much of a process is it? I'm thinking it's beyond something I can do, so how much would a shop charge about?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had an older vehicle years ago,so long ago that I don't remember what it was. But I do remember that when the inside hood release handle broke my mechanic brother in law just rigged up a short loop of cable right by the hood release that hung down inside the grill I think. Not very much security wise but you wouldn't even notice it was there unless you were looking for it and it worked great!!

bgreen

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@b: That might work. I was thinking about crimping the wires that are left, so they don't fray anymore, and adding some wire on to lengthen it, and crimping that.
If I can get a handle for a hood release from the scrapyard, then maybe I can figure out how to reattach it.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
Just get a new hood release cable assy and be done with it. Not that expensive and should not be that hard to install. Never done a release cable on a Taurus, but have on several other Ford and GM cars. 1/2 to 1 hour max install time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts