Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a photo of the Hood latching system for a 2000 Sable ? My hood will not stayed latched no matter how many times I slam it ! I have WD40 the latch system but it apears to stay in unlock postion any ideas ? Thanks :werd:

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Did you just get the car? Has it been wrecked. I had to readjust the sel after the kid bumped a pickup

Mike
:dunno:

·
Registered
283 Posts
it prolly needs adjusting. i am not sure how to do it on the sable but the latch can be adjusted somehow. if the hood does not catch then the latch might be able to be raised a bit so as to catch the hood.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it prolly needs adjusting. i am not sure how to do it on the sable but the latch can be adjusted somehow. if the hood does not catch then the latch might be able to be raised a bit so as to catch the hood.
[/b]
Thanks I'll look into that and advise. :thumb:

Did you just get the car? Has it been wrecked. I had to readjust the sel after the kid bumped a pickup

Mike
:dunno:
[/b]
I've had the car for a year now with out any bumps, I was just checking for a PVC leak and went to close the hood it would not latch. I can hear it going into the latch but the hood bounces up and the safety hook catchs it. Thanks for your help :werd:

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I'm having a similar problem with my car. I have to really slam the hood down hard to get it to latch. I can't even push it closed by hand.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having a similar problem with my car. I have to really slam the hood down hard to get it to latch. I can't even push it closed by hand.
[/b]
JohninMass-

Same thing happened to me suddenly one day. There was a spring broken in the retaining mechanisim. There is a arm in the latch that springs over onto the u-shaped part (attached to bottom of hood) when you close it shut. This locks the latch over as well and keep the hood closed. You have to remove the latch to access the spring. I believe it's two 8mm screws to remove the latch assembly. Lift up and notice the latch retaining spring it's probably rusted and broken. Remove the spring and go to a hardware store for replacment. Most good hardware stores have a selection a replacment springs for purchase. It should cost you under $1. Select one that is the same total length as the factory one and closed to the same spring wire guage as well. Spring wire guage is the diameter of the wire that the coil spring is made of. If you choose too strong, it will take a lot of force on the inside of the car to spring the hood possibly braking you hood release latch on the inside. :angryfire:
Relace the new spring in the latch. One side to the latch arm and one side of the spring to the latch mechanism body itself. Bend each end over with needle nose pliers. Bolt latch back in but try to put it in exactly where the latch was bolted in before. Look for dirt residue /discoloration on body where latch ws bolted in before you removed it. This step is to ensure hood will line up and close. Test and Smile :thumb:

Should take about 15 min to complete. Hope this helps, worked for me.

Good luck-

Mike

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
JohninMass-

Same thing happened to me suddenly one day. There was a spring broken in the retaining mechanisim. There is a arm in the latch that springs over onto the u-shaped part (attached to bottom of hood) when you close it shut. This locks the latch over as well and keep the hood closed. You have to remove the latch to access the spring. I believe it's two 8mm screws to remove the latch assembly. Lift up and notice the latch retaining spring it's probably rusted and broken. Remove the spring and go to a hardware store for replacment. Most good hardware stores have a selection a replacment springs for purchase. It should cost you under $1. Select one that is the same total length as the factory one and closed to the same spring wire guage as well. Spring wire guage is the diameter of the wire that the coil spring is made of. If you choose too strong, it will take a lot of force on the inside of the car to spring the hood possibly braking you hood release latch on the inside. :angryfire:
Relace the new spring in the latch. One side to the latch arm and one side of the spring to the latch mechanism body itself. Bend each end over with needle nose pliers. Bolt latch back in but try to put it in exactly where the latch was bolted in before. Look for dirt residue /discoloration on body where latch ws bolted in before you removed it. This step is to ensure hood will line up and close. Test and Smile :thumb:

Good luck-
Hey thanks that was the problem but in my case the spring is gone ! I'll have to try an find the spring via a part No#.
Thanks Again :thumb:
John

[/b][/quote]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[attachmentid=27982][attachmentid=27983]
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
JohninMass-

Good luck-
Hey thanks that was the problem but in my case the spring is gone ! I'll have to try an find the spring via a part No#.
John

[/b][/quote]Can to tell me where you got the spring ? I'm having a tuff time finding the correct one thanks :thumb:
[/b][/quote]

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
I had the same problem and went to the junkyard and grabbed one from another taurus since hardware stores didnt have a similar spring.Dont bother going to ford since they will only sell you a hood latch assembly not a simple spring.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had the same problem and went to the junkyard and grabbed one from another taurus since hardware stores didnt have a similar spring.Dont bother going to ford since they will only sell you a hood latch assembly not a simple spring.
[/b]
Thanks I'll try that :thumb:

·
Registered
4 Posts
[attachmentid=27982][attachmentid=27983]<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
JohninMass-

Good luck-
John

[/b][/quote]Can to tell me where you got the spring ? I'm having a tuff time finding the correct one thanks :thumb:
[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

John-

I got a similar one to the one pictured in the thread at a hardware store. My local hardware store has these cardboard drawers with small parts in different sizes. bolts, nuts and washers etc. I just matached it as close as possible. Sorry for the slow reply my computer hasn't been working.

Mike

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<div class='quotemain'>
[attachmentid=27982][attachmentid=27983]<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
JohninMass-

Good luck-
John

[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

John-

I got a similar one to the one pictured in the thread at a hardware store. My local hardware store has these cardboard drawers with small parts in different sizes. bolts, nuts and washers etc. I just matached it as close as possible. Sorry for the slow reply my computer hasn't been working.

Mike
[/b][/quote]Hey mike thanks for the info :thumb: :merc:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks guys, I had the same problem and this helped me fix it. My lower spring was broken, guy at junk yard refused to sell me just the spring so I had to buy the whole latch from him. I just took the spring off the new latch and put it on my old one.

One problem I did run into is after I put in the new spring it still wasn't closing. I hadn't realised that you could adjust the height of the latch. After moving the latch up everything worked fine again.

Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts