Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I will be replacing my car's hood soon. I removed the insulation to save and apply to the new hood, and so I could get the hoodlight cord out. When I was removing it some of the little plastic tabs holding it broke as I was trying to pull them out, so I thought on the new hood I would just glue it back on. I saw online discussions about self-adhesive hood insulation, but I'll be using my own insulation. What type of glue/adhesive would you suggest for applying the fiberglass insulation to the hood? Something that would bond the two together, plus that would hold up to the heat of the engine. I saw some forum posts on the insulation, but nothing on how to glue it.

By the way, never attempt to clean off hood insulation by brushing it vigorously with your bare hand. Ouch!

Thanks,
Rachel

:wub:

Attachments

·
Registered
955 Posts
well you could go that route, or you could just buy some new plastic plugs from the parts stores.

They aren't that expensive and when you need to remove your hood again for whatever reason, you can do so easily.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I would brush on some type of epoxy resin. That would resist the heat properly, and will hold like it should. However, if you can hold it on with the plastic clips alone, I would do that instead. Glue is so permanent, and that can be a problem, and applying epoxy resin can be messy.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,
I'll take a closer look at finding the parts, maybe "hood insulation fasteners" or something would be a good name for them. If not I'll try to the epoxy resin. It would be good to be able to remove the insulation if I ever wanted to replace it (it has some tearing on it right now).

EDIT: I found a pack of 100 ford hood insulation fasteners on autobodysupplies.com for about $8. I could always get those, keep what I need, then sell the leftovers on ebay. Hmmm, make money in the process? Maybe.

:wub:

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Use the hood insulation fasteners. :)

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
A trip to Lowe's and a couple of dollars for new plastic push pins would be the best and easiest solution.

Mike
B)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts