Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else notice the chrome three bar grill gracing the nose of the new Honda Insight? I find it a little amusing that Honda would use a grill treatment not that far removed from the Ford 3-bar grill that started on the Fusion.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Not only are they copying Ford, but Toyota as well. Back end looks like a Prius.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Even if they didn't copy, I wouldn't be caught dead driving a Honda or Toyota. If my only choice for a car was a honda or toyota then I would rather walk or ride a bike.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I remember Honda's brochure informing me that their transmission was so great because it "holds the appropriate gear" when ascending or descending a hill, as opposed to other cars who just let it shift like crazy.

Another tv ad said their rwd acura's differential was technologically advanced because it "sped up or slowed down the rear wheels" to make turning easier.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
:withstupid: Neither of them are what I'd call my "preferred brand", but they are some damn decent cars. The styling (talking camrys and accords here) isn't all that great, but the interiors and powertrains on the upper level models are pretty snazzy. Considering ford is JUST NOW changing the taurus to catch up with their interior refinement is certainly saying something.

That being said, LOL @ the gilette mach-3 civic. It looks like the fusions grille, only it's the disposable travel-sized version. Yay for Ford creating awkward styling trends. :banana:

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<div class='quotemain'>
can they not come up with anything theirselves. they just all copy what everyone else has
[/b]

But they sure do sell a lot of cars, something that Ford can only wish for!
[/b][/quote]

Maybe you should get your facts straight, Ford outsells Honda by a large margin. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Honestly... If I had the choice to either walk, or drive, and the only car was a Honda or Toyota... I hate this IL weather, and as long as the car has a heater... I'd drive it. I may not like it, but if it will get me to and from work, with heat... Fine. And it has to be able to start :p

However, I had a choice :)

And the choice was obvious :ford:

·
Premium Member
8,863 Posts
Toyota and Honda have mastered building mediocre cars.

They are bland (conservatively styled), reliable, generally unimpressive, soulless, unexciting and functional.

Of course, I am biased but it seems that American cars at least have some kind of soul and familiarity that draw people to them. They tend to have better performance and a solid powertrain and can somehow master being "unrefined" but still desirable.

... and that's only cars. Don't get me started on foreign "trucks" vs. domestics. :rolleyes:

Would I ever purchase or drive a Honda or Toyota (or other foreign vehicle)? Maybe if nothing else was available (even used).

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
can they not come up with anything theirselves. they just all copy what everyone else has
[/b]

But they sure do sell a lot of cars, something that Ford can only wish for!
[/b][/quote]

Maybe you should get your facts straight, Ford outsells Honda by a large margin. :rolleyes:
[/b][/quote]
sooooooooooooooooooooo how much did ford lose last quarter i think i read 5.8b with a B. :dunno:

"LARGE MARGIN" :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: yea large loss too

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
all cars today look like crap anyway, it's like saying one turd smells nicer than the other.

I think you can blame part of that for new frontal crash regs.

What Honda and Toyota have mastered is building appliances on 4 wheels. For a majority of the buying public that is what a car basically amounts to, so that's why they sell tons of them.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Even if they didn't copy, I wouldn't be caught dead driving a Honda or Toyota. If my only choice for a car was a honda or toyota then I would rather walk or ride a bike.
[/b]
Yeah LOVE honda bikes....I HATE honda cars lol.

SO when somebody says honda cars...i say they make cars too??? hmm thought it was only bikes :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Seriously? Get into a modern-day Accord or Civic and tell me you would walk after that. :blink:
[/b]
Ok where to begin...... way to many buttons on the accord center console, the front end almost resembles a saturn l-series, almost as long as a chrysler 300 and I could go on and on.
Oh and the civic, compared to its competitors, its overpriced, underpowered, and the swoops are just plain ugly.
Japanese Cars just dont do it for me. American cars are more affordable, employ fellow Americans, are easy to work on, are stylish and as of late, very reliable.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
I dunno about the Civic, we just got an '09 and it's beautiful, has plenty of power and a really comfortable interior. It's really not that expensive either, the 3 year lease is very low and we didn't even put a down payment or trade in. It's especially cheaper because we were used to paying for a large GM SUV for 4 years, so any economy car is going to be cheaper. My fathers '04 has 140k miles from commuting and it's still running like it did when he drove it off the lot, so it was a pretty obvious choice what to buy. It's definitely on that list of brand new cars and I was going to even get one instead of the Taurus last year when my Camry died.

IDK, I like some foreign cars and some domestic cars. For example I like Honda Accords and Civics, Ford Fusions, Chevy Malibu, GM large trucks, etc. But I also hate Hyundais and Chryslers. For me its not an American vs. Foreign as I could really give a ****, as long as it's a nice looking car, has good value and is reliable.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sooooooooooooooooooooo how much did ford lose last quarter i think i read 5.8b with a B. :dunno:

"LARGE MARGIN" :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: yea large loss too
[/b]
The loss isn't because they didn't sell cars, it is because they are too big a company for their market share, too high a percentage of their sales are in SUV's and trucks, and restructuring costs....etc. Fact is, Ford does sell more vehicles than Honda. Honda isn't suffering as much for two main reasons. There cars are generally smaller and more fuel efficient(so they didn't see the sales drop off as bad as Ford,GM & Chrysler) and the company isn't that large. It didn't have the unfortunate situation of being too big for its share of the market like the domestics are (particularly GM).

Plus don't forget that the Japanese automakers have been protected to some degree from the artificially low Yen. Now that the global economy is tanking, that fact is being exposed and the Japanese makers are feeling the pain. Even the mighty Toyota saw red before the end of last year!!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
Seriously? Get into a modern-day Accord or Civic and tell me you would walk after that. :blink:
[/b]
Ok where to begin...... way to many buttons on the accord center console, the front end almost resembles a saturn l-series, almost as long as a chrysler 300 and I could go on and on.
Oh and the civic, compared to its competitors, its overpriced, underpowered, and the swoops are just plain ugly.
Japanese Cars just dont do it for me. American cars are more affordable, employ fellow Americans, are easy to work on, are stylish and as of late, very reliable.
[/b][/quote]

Hmm..my Accord does have a lot of buttons on the centre stack. About 35 of them. This photo on Ford of Canada's website shows a Fusion with at least 41 buttons on the centre stack. So much for the "too many buttons" argument :rolleyes: Edit: After the web site opens click on the "Interior" tab to bring up the photo of the Fusion's instrument panel. Then click on the "zoom" icon and count the buttons.

My Accord was built in Ohio. The last time I checked Ohio IS part of the US and thus Americans are employed. And let's not forget the people that own and/or work at Honda dealerships in the US. Yup, they're Americans too.

And let's not forget that the Fusion is Built in <strike>Brazil</strike> Mexico and that the Crown Vic is built in Canada. Edit: changed Brazil to Mexico - thanks Nick.

You state American cars are easy to work on. Some are. Some are not. Back in my rally days my service team changed a transmission in a Corolla in 30 minutes. How long do you think that would take in a Taurus?

As far as being affordable, in 2007 the Chevy Aveo was supposedly the cheapest car in America. See this link. The Aveo is NOT an American car.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Toyota and Honda have mastered building mediocre cars.

They are bland (conservatively styled), reliable, generally unimpressive, soulless, unexciting and functional.

Of course, I am biased but it seems that American cars at least have some kind of soul and familiarity that draw people to them. They tend to have better performance and a solid powertrain and can somehow master being "unrefined" but still desirable.

... and that's only cars. Don't get me started on foreign "trucks" vs. domestics. :rolleyes:

Would I ever purchase or drive a Honda or Toyota (or other foreign vehicle)? Maybe if nothing else was available (even used).
[/b]

I don't think the Accord is any more mediocre than, say, the Fusion. And while the Fusion is less refined than the Accord I wouldn't say it's as desirable. Check out the sales of each car and you'll see what I mean.

As far as "bland (conservatively styled), reliable, generally unimpressive, soulless, unexciting and functional." are concerned, this is exactly my opinion of Fusion, Taurus, Accord, Camry. But then, I may be a bit biased too. :D

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Markus, the US/Canada Fusion is built in Mexico.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts