Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not sure if anyone else will find this useful, but I know I spent alot of time trying to find this. After all, who wants to buy a crossover for a ton of cash when you can buy the parts for 5-10 bucks.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Originally posted by 86CashBurner@Apr 14 2004, 11:24 PM
Im not sure if anyone else will find this useful, but I know I spent alot of time trying to find this. After all, who wants to buy a crossover for a ton of cash when you can buy the parts for 5-10 bucks.
good point... i would also like to add that there are TONS of things you can do by building your own x-overs rather than buying an active one. passive x-overs are the way to go, you can change the way youre entire system sounds and reacts. but, you do have to have alot of knowledge with speakers, capacitors, inductors, physics, and acoustics. not to mention all the plot graphs that ensue... but if you have the means, play with them and see what you can do, the results will be most excellent(sorry for the lame bill and ted reference
)

·
Registered
160 Posts
While using passive components has its advantages it also has disadvatages. It alters the impedence of the circuit so that needs to be kept in mind. I have made active crossovers and bass boost filters out of opamps in conjunction with RC components versus RL componenets with good results but this was for a preamp line so voltage wasnt an issue. Yeah making crossovers isnt to hard just need a couple formulas and saves a good deal of money versus buying them, but the sound quality of the end result might be different then the premodified system.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts