Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I have recently had the lighting in my apartment upgraded to a fluorescent ballast (the fluorescent tubes you see in almost every home/office nowadays), from an incandescent bulb. I am noticing that after the lights have been on for awhile, I get a high pitched squeal, it's kind of quiet but it is noticeable. Is this fixable with new bulbs or something? Sorry I'm kind of a newb at interior lighting.

·
Registered
328 Posts
That's the ballast making noise.

You can try a different ballast, but I don't know if it will help. You kind of sensitive to high pitched noises?

Zorin

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i am...how exactly is the ballast making noise? is there a wiring thing with it, or something I can do to patch it?

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
QUOTE (Darthenstein @ Jun 21 2009, 06:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=734103
yeah i am...how exactly is the ballast making noise? is there a wiring thing with it, or something I can do to patch it?[/b]
Probably the transformers inside. Only way to fix is to replace the ballast, short of going inside it (you won't want to do that, it'll hurt like hell.)

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Audible Noise
One characteristic of iron-cored electromagnetic ballasts operating at 60 Hz, is the generation of audible noise. Noise can be increased by high temperatures, and it is amplified by certain luminaire designs. The best ballasts use high quality materials and workmanship to reduce noise. Noise is rated A, B, C, or D in decreasing order of preference. An "A" rated ballast will hum softly; a "D" rated ballast will make a loud buzz. The number of ballasts, their sound rating, and the nature of ambient noise in the room determine whether or not a system will create an audible disturbance.
Virtually all energy-efficient magnetic ballasts for F40T12 and F32T8 lamps are "A" rated, with a few exceptions, such as low temperature ballasts. Still, the hum of magnetic ballasts may be perceptible in a particularly quiet environment such as a library. Well-designed electronic high-frequency ballasts, on the other hand, should emit no perceptible hum. All electronic ballasts are "A" rated for sound.[/b]
See if they'll replace the ballast with an electronic one.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you!!!

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
CFL (or other energy-friendly lights) = :wub:

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
Hmm... I haven't seen those yet.

And here's the other catch: CFLs are made in China. Most incandescent bulbs are still made in the U.S.

So our government is destroying American jobs (at the same time they're running around trying to convince us that they want to preserve jobs). Great work.

And I'm willing to bet that the environmental damage done by mercury contamination caused by the manufacture of these bulbs far outweighs the benefits of decreased energy usage.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/worl...icle6211261.ece

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
You have more mercury in you tooth fillings than a dozen CFL lamps. And you had better check the label on those incandescents. Most I have around here were made in Mexico or Hungary.

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
So all the mercury contamination in those lightbulb factories is just a joke? Come on, you really expect me to believe that all the mercury poisoning the workers in those factories isn't making it into the environment? The amount of mercury in the bulbs is irrelevant. It's the mercury that isn't making it into the bulbs that's the problem.

All the incandescent bulbs I've bought are American-made. I wouldn't have bought them if they weren't.

Now, I wouldn't doubt if they start moving production elsewhere because the ban is forcing them to close their U.S. factories...

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Do you realize how many fluorescent bulbs are used in industrial buildings and have been used for the last 50 years? I bet I've changed out 1000s myself. The place I work now probably has 500 fixtures with 6 bubs each. Change them out every 5 years and multiply that by millions of buildings.

The average CFL has 4 milligrams of mercury. The average CFL will last 2-3 years if used 10 hours every day. If disposed of properly no mercury is released into the environment. And will reduce the emissions from electrical generation which contribute high amounts of mercury into the air. The top 50 coal burning plants in the US emit 20 tons of mercury into the air every year.

The cheap incandescence I've bought 15 years ago were made in Hungary.

You are disregarding the benefits to the US electrical grid and development with the use of CFLs too.

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
Have you read anything I've said? I never said a ###### thing about the mercury in the bulbs. I'm talking about the excess in the production process, which, had you read that article, you might understand. I've changed thousands of those bulbs myself. I think they even used to make them here.

Were they made in a country with a reasonable standard of safety there wouldn't be a problem, which is the point I've been trying to make.

But, whatever. You're going to pick and choose which parts of my statements to look at until you make me look like an *******. Fine. I'm done here.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
So where do you think most florescent tubes have been made for the last 50 years?

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
All Of my CFLs are Made in ... Holly crap China. Damn GE. Perhaps becuase I bought them at wal-mart.
Oh well. What can you do. I do know that I have replaced the 20 Incandesent bulbs in my house with CFLs 2 years ago.
My electric bill is 3/4 of what it used to be. I have just put the A/C in. My electric/nat gas bill last month was $120
it was $180 3 years ago this time. So I think they are worth it.

Also the GE revile Bulb my roommate bough to replace the single CFL in her room (she hates it). I just checked the package. Also made in china. So Naw!
Putting CFLs in your home won't ruin the economy. Incandescent bulbs do that already :lol:

The mercury in the bulb isn't that hazards if it breaks. Recycle them when they are spent. Any Home depot or Lowes is REQUIRED to take them back. Like MotorOil. If they sell a certain amount of it, they are required by law to take them back. Same with rechargeable Batteries BTW.

What's a little bit of mercury between friends. Would you rather have a little mercury in the environment, from poor manufacturing standards. Or all that burnt Carbon from the coat burning facilities. Or the extra Nuke waste. Remember these are made in China. So the poor manufactoring standards keeps the extra mercury there.

Even if they are made in china with NO environmental standards, remember it;s china. They don't give a crap about their people any way. We don't buy soil from them. Yet

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ Jun 24 2009, 09:43 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=734828
So where do you think most florescent tubes have been made for the last 50 years?[/b]
The USA.

Do I have to take a picture of every tube in the house to prove it? Or are you just going to keep being a jackass until I agree with you?

QUOTE (thesavo @ Jun 24 2009, 09:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=734829
Would you rather have a little mercury in the environment, from poor manufacturing standards.[/b]
Why the ###### doesn't anyone get it? They could be made here, or Canada, or anywhere else with measures in place to prevent it and not have ANY in the environment from poor manufacturing standards.

But I should know better than to think the American consumer is concerned with anything besides getting a product for the cheapest possible price as long as they don't have to live with the repercussions.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts