Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Holy Rocker Panels

14K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  the_intimidator_02 
#1 ·
While poking around underneath The old Beast readying her for an inspection,I pulled one of the rocker moldings to find some Swiss cheese metal under them. I flipped though the old collision estimation guide to find that the whole side of the car(both door openings and the rocker panels) are one piece. It's an old Manual so does anyone know if there are patch panels available?

#7 ·
i had the same problem on my 99 and i cut all the rust out and installed new i had my local sheet metal place bend me some rockers and i installed them with aluminum pop rivets and seam sealer i think they came out good i wish i had pics of rockers before i fixed them

passenger side 4 ft section

drivers side 6 ft section

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

i have one 4 ft section that i may sell due to i do not need it

#8 ·
if you guys want to see something scary.. if you're rockers are that bad, you should take off the splash shields on your front wheel wells and check behind there. my rockers are nowhere near rotted, but when i took of the wheel well splash shields to replace a broken windshield washer tube, i saw a ton of rust... i poked at it, and my hand went right through.. ahh!

#12 ·
Just take a look at it. I had a similar issue with rust, but my metal was still good. Just needed cleaned up. Ford put some sound deadening material on the plastic inner fender, which soaked and held water for a long time against the steel inner fender. I know this because mine was still very wet after a week in the body shop when I painted the car. I pulled all the fiber material off before re-installing the platic inner fenders. I'd show a picture, but photobucket is down for maintenance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.