Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next year, I intend to buy my first "toy" car. I was thinking of a g2 SHO, but instead I was laying in bed, and this thought occured to me, can I put the Thunderbird Turbo coupe 2.3L Turbo in a g2 Taurus??? Does anyone think this can be done, and has it been done before? I would want to hook it up to either an AX4N or a g2 SHO trans. What do yall think?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Well, I think after 6 years of engineering school you'd have a chance. No, that would be insanely complicated. Just buy an old SHO already intact.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well IMO the 2.5L in the G1 Tauri should have the same casting as the 2.3L which is the turbo, therefore it should bolt up. The 2.5L in GM had the same block as the 2.2L so I am hopingit would be the same, if not, back to the drawing board

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
The 2.5L pushrod engine in the early Taurus is totally different from the 2.3L overhead-cam engine in the Turbo Coupe. In fact the 2.5 is based on the 2.3 from the Tempo/Topaz and is derived from the early-sixties six-cylinder used in Falcons. OHC 2.3 is basically the engine used starting in 1974 in Pintos.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
^^^^ +1

2.3/2.5 HSC has nothing in common with the 2.3 OHC.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
You should probably ask Heather first anyway......

·
Registered
54 Posts
dam, there went my idea lol oh well back to the drawing board
dont give up so quickly. with enough time, ingenuity, and money, or the right combination of all three, you can swap just about any engine into just about any car. i mean if someone can swap a 454 chevy big block and a 455 olds into a honda 600 coupe, you can certainly swap a turbo 2.3ohc engine into your taurus. the key is going to be the bell housing, and if you can find one you can adapt, or perhaps building an adapter plate.

the first question i would be asking is, does the bell housing on the transaxle you are contemplating separate from the transaxle itself? if not then you can cut off the bell, and create an adapter plate for the new bell like us racers did in the 60s to the early 80s when we wanted to replace the torque converter with a real clutch on a turbo 400 or torque flight trans. if it is removable, then you just need to create the adapter plate for the new bell.

engine mounts are easy to deal with, you just need to take a little time and effort to make good ones. and once the needed bell housing is in place, everything else becomes much easier.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I know stuff could be fabricated to make it work, but when I would do this project, I would be VERY limited on budget....I am thinking of maybe finding one of those baby LTD's from the mid 80's with a 5.0

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.