Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, as i posted a few days ago, in may ima to get an apartment with a friend then. it was suggested that I get a higher paying job--which would be awesome. right now i work at white castle making 8.47 an hour. i dunno why i feel attached to the place i just do, i like most of the people that work there. if i quit again (went back after i left circuit city) i doubt that i could get rehired again. so im kinda amprehensive to leave.

so even though i could afford it with my pay, it would be so much easier with a job with more money. so does anyone know of any good jobs for college students? the hours wanted would be around 30 a week. i could do anything, but i am interested in computers (i am a+ certified) my friend works at compusa as a cashier, and told me that their techs make 12 dollars an hour, which is pretty good. is this a good avenue or should i look elsewhere. i mean i love my job at white castle, (which is not what most people could say at a fast food) but i really do need to make more. suggestions?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
As unexciting as it may be, maybe look into FedEx/Kinkos or a UPS Store. Depending on experience, you can make some decent part time money, especially since its XMAS season at the moment.

If you want to stick to retail, I would go survey some retail places that are local and interesting to you, see if you could deal/work in the atmosphere at that store. Maybe you can catch an employee on a smoke break outside or something...never hurts :dunno:

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
The only place I can think of will be retail. If u like computer and technology stuff, u can try Best Buy, Target, Sears, Comp USA etc.

Try looking on campus to see what's available....computer labs....library...bookstore?

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
I would suggest getting a job as a server at a nice sit down restraunt. You can make very good money with tips and the hours are flexible. When I worked at Romanos Macaroni Grill I pulled $80 on a Friday night, some would get over $100, so you can make some decent money. Not to mention free food and discounts.

Also try internships for your major, great thing to do so when you go looking for a job.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only place I can think of will be retail. If u like computer and technology stuff, u can try Best Buy, Target, Sears, Comp USA etc.

Try looking on campus to see what's available....computer labs....library...bookstore?
[/b]
yeah if i do retail, it would be for the tech jobs at best buy or compusa, i kno target doesnt pay much at all.

I would suggest getting a job as a server at a nice sit down restraunt. You can make very good money with tips and the hours are flexible. When I worked at Romanos Macaroni Grill I pulled $80 on a Friday night, some would get over $100, so you can make some decent money. Not to mention free food and discounts.

Also try internships for your major, great thing to do so when you go looking for a job.
[/b]
not a bad idea at all. however for the internship thing, i want to do that, but the earliest I could prob do something like that would be the summer of my sophmore year.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Internships are probably the greatest thing you could do for your career, and you do make some pretty good money. My 1st co-op, I made $13.50/hour, working 1st level helpdesk support for a national non-profit, my 2nd, I made $18/hour, doing Microsoft server builds/engineering. The money is awesome, and when you're in college, you get almost all of your taxes back. The biggest plus is that when you graduate, you've already got a significant portion of work experience under your belt, so you can use that to parlay a greater salary.

As for right now, I would check the Geek Squad or something like that. You can know next to nothing about computers and get a job there, from what I've heard, and they pay pretty decently.

JR

·
Registered
600 Posts
Internships are probably the greatest thing you could do for your career, and you do make some pretty good money. My 1st co-op, I made $13.50/hour, working 1st level helpdesk support for a national non-profit, my 2nd, I made $18/hour, doing Microsoft server builds/engineering. The money is awesome, and when you're in college, you get almost all of your taxes back. The biggest plus is that when you graduate, you've already got a significant portion of work experience under your belt, so you can use that to parlay a greater salary.

As for right now, I would check the Geek Squad or something like that. You can know next to nothing about computers and get a job there, from what I've heard, and they pay pretty decently.

JR
[/b]
so your saying u dont have to know alot to get into that type of work

???

·
Registered
600 Posts
well i could assemble a comp from just a shell i would think that would be good right

·
Registered
600 Posts
i got that
I can, but like i dont like to do so it takes to long to do. I just use the enter button to spilt up each sentence i say, makes the typing go alot faster.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Yeah, and it pisses off all the people who are trying to interact with you or answer a question you have. We don't like to have to read giant blobs of text with no formatting, and that is why many people who do post like that ask questions that go unanswered. It doesn't take long to capitalize or use punctuation, and if you install Firefox 2, it comes with a built-in spellchecker that will make sure your posts are spelled correctly.

JR

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have to check my stuff while im at school. They dont have firefox, when im at my dads though I do. I know never knew that it was that bad to read. I guess i never had to read my own stuff, I should try it once in awhile to see how you all feel. Ill try to get better about it and feel free to rip on me if I mess up.

Back on topic.
Does anyone know how much you make just working at Best Buy? Just like as an employee, nothing speical.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have to check my stuff while im at school. They dont have firefox, when im at my dads though I do. I know never knew that it was that bad to read. I guess i never had to read my own stuff, I should try it once in awhile to see how you all feel. Ill try to get better about it and feel free to rip on me if I mess up.

Back on topic.
Does anyone know how much you make just working at Best Buy? Just like as an employee, nothing speical.
[/b]
if its anything like circuit city, depends on ur job. i know there cashiers started at 7.25, while people in departments (basically tv, and tech) started at 8.75. i kno that the techs started at at least 9 or 10, and the car installers somewhere around that. also returns (which was basically cashier, but you had to deal with irate custoemrs) was around 7.25 as well. warehouse also made around 8 something starting out.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Thank you for learning the error of your ways! :p

At Best Buy, just starting, you'll probably make between 8 and 11 bucks an hour. Sears pays much better, at least around here. They hire part time sales associates at $13.50+ in Jersey.

JR

·
Registered
600 Posts
REALLY!!!!!!

Dam I only make like, $7.60/per hour, working at McDonalds. Thats right 10 cents over minium wage. The only reason why I even work there is because its so close, and with recent gas prices so freak'n high i really have no choice.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
You need to know enough to be able to complete proper sentences and not drool on yourself.

JR
[/b]

Geek squad isn't that great. I have a laptop (that I'm supposed to be repairing for the person but he wont get ahold of me). They told the dude that his laptop has a bad hard drive.

I ran the more in depth scan disk multiple times and it found nothing wrong with the hard drive. I did my best to kill the hard drive by copying large files ... there is nothing wrong with the hard drive.

Apparently the motherboard has an intermittent issue where it won't do anything when powered on. He described the problem and what geek squad said it was. It is most definitely not a hard drive issue

Geek squad sucks

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
REALLY!!!!!!

Dam I only make like, $7.60/per hour, working at McDonalds. Thats right 10 cents over minium wage. The only reason why I even work there is because its so close, and with recent gas prices so freak'n high i really have no choice.
[/b]
minium wage in illinois is 7.25? i kno that by 2009 the lowest federal minimum wage is 7.25, however right now it is 5.55 which here in ky a lot of places start at the lowest fed minium wage (5.55) cough* mcdonalds* cough*

·
Registered
600 Posts
So i guess know one on geek squad knows what there doing. I dont have the programs to do in depth scans like that, but im sure id do a better job than that. Right now though im just in it for the money.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts