Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Solved a bunch of problems with this last fuel filter change. I've been changing it yearly since 2005, but this time it seems that it actually helped.

Lately, the car has been having a real hard time starting. It would take 3 or 4 times. Even priming didn't always work because it would cough and die usually.

This time when I changed the filter, brown gas ran out of the input side. Upon taking it apart, I found chunks of rust plugging it up... wowo.

It's a new tank too. Anyway, just much much happier that the car runs right now. I can actually keep up with traffic now! No more going up the slow lane with 4 ways on because I can only go 20 mph slower than traffic.

Next up is the filler neck.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Wow, every year? I'm pretty sure the fuel filter on my 95 has never been changed, I know its not been changed since I've owned it (2006). It seems to run fine.... knock on wood. I guess if it does start having fuel starvation problems that will be the first place I look at.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
as the original owner, i changed my fuel filter for the first time 1-2 years ago. i though i would feel a difference and did not.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ May 2 2009, 12:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=722380
Sounds like a load of bad gas.[/b]
:werd:

I do mine annually too, which works out to roughly every 18-22k miles...I've never had it come out that bad, and I still have the original tank from 2001.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Only run about 15,000 a year but I change fuel filters at least every 2 or 3 years. Just because you don't feel any difference doesn't mean that your fuel pump doesn't. A partially plugged fuel filter can cause the pump to run a little harder and over time you know what that means. And, how about water in the fuel filter where it can freeze if you live where the snow fly's in the winter. Too easy to do, why not save yourself from problems before they cause trouble. Change your filter. :rolleyes2:

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
QUOTE (Millermagic @ May 1 2009, 07:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=722287
Solved a bunch of problems with this last fuel filter change. I've been changing it yearly since 2005, but this time it seems that it actually helped.

Lately, the car has been having a real hard time starting. It would take 3 or 4 times. Even priming didn't always work because it would cough and die usually.

This time when I changed the filter, brown gas ran out of the input side. Upon taking it apart, I found chunks of rust plugging it up... wowo.

It's a new tank too. Anyway, just much much happier that the car runs right now. I can actually keep up with traffic now! No more going up the slow lane with 4 ways on because I can only go 20 mph slower than traffic.

Next up is the filler neck.[/b]
With that much trash in your fuel filter, maybe you should rethink where you buy your fuel.

Sounds like the station has old metal tanks that are in bad condition, is running the tank too low before refilling, or maybe you refilled while a tanker was topping off the station, or maybe they didn't take, or leave the affected pumps off line long enough for the stirred up sediment to settle out after a delivery????

Brands, like Sunoco, filter the fuel at the pump, before delivery.

On my Ford rides, the fuel filter is scheduled for replacement every 30K miles & by then mine usually have some sediment in them, although not anywhere near as much as you said you found.

I'm kinda persnickety about where & when I buy fuel. I visit high volume stations & avoid them if a tanker is unloading!!!!

Some fuel thoughts for pondering.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a 1998 F150 that I purchased new. It has 114K miles on it. I just recently changed the fuel filter for the first time.

I could not get the filter connections loose even with the right tools. I tried to get it loose on several different occastions. I was bending the fuel connections trying to remove it. I thought I was going to break something so I left it alone. I FINALLY got it loose with a modified tool and PB blaster and got it changed.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could be. But the fuel filler neck could be cuasing it too. That is very close to rusting through.

QUOTE (ford_ses @ May 2 2009, 11:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=722463
:werd:

I do mine annually too, which works out to roughly every 18-22k miles...I've never had it come out that bad, and I still have the original tank from 2001.
[/b][/quote]

The original tank had the top rust in and fall in the tank apparently

QUOTE (pawpaw @ May 3 2009, 09:50 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=722515
QUOTE (Millermagic @ May 1 2009, 07:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=722287

Next up is the filler neck.[/b]
With that much trash in your fuel filter, maybe you should rethink where you buy your fuel.

Sounds like the station has old metal tanks that are in bad condition, is running the tank too low before refilling, or maybe you refilled while a tanker was topping off the station, or maybe they didn't take, or leave the affected pumps off line long enough for the stirred up sediment to settle out after a delivery????

Brands, like Sunoco, filter the fuel at the pump, before delivery.

On my Ford rides, the fuel filter is scheduled for replacement every 30K miles & by then mine usually have some sediment in them, although not anywhere near as much as you said you found.

I'm kinda persnickety about where & when I buy fuel. I visit high volume stations & avoid them if a tanker is unloading!!!!

Some fuel thoughts for pondering.
[/b][/quote]

I usually buy at mobile and if I see a fuel truck in the area I wait until next time I'm on the road to buy gas.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I've seen one load of bad gas plug the filter right now. It doesn't take long. Good advice about not getting the gas when the tanker is unloading.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts