Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a used hidden hitch for my 03 for $40. I looked at the installation instructions for it and you have to drop the emissions canister and re-route the hose through the hitch to install it. You also have to use special nuts that are on handles to slide into the frame rail. Has anybody done this before? How hard is it going to be? I also want to tow a little above the cars rating ,maybe a couple hundred pounds , to tow my boat a few times a year. the tongue weight is fine. Its not the first time i have done this. I used to tow a 3000 pound boat with a 1980 pontiac phoenix with an iron duke 4 banger.class one hitch too. Boy was I young and dumb. That was a front wheel drive wonder
I guess its time for a transmission cooler isn't it.
I just need a little advice and encouragement .

·
Registered
207 Posts
QUOTE (double trouble @ Jun 1 2009, 06:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=729498
I found a used hidden hitch for my 03 for $40. I looked at the installation instructions for it and you have to drop the emissions canister and re-route the hose through the hitch to install it. You also have to use special nuts that are on handles to slide into the frame rail. Has anybody done this before? How hard is it going to be? I also want to tow a little above the cars rating ,maybe a couple hundred pounds , to tow my boat a few times a year. the tongue weight is fine. Its not the first time i have done this. I used to tow a 3000 pound boat with a 1980 pontiac phoenix with an iron duke 4 banger.class one hitch too. Boy was I young and dumb. That was a front wheel drive wonder
I just need a little advice and encouragement .[/b]

I installed the Hidden Hitch M/N 90308 Class-II trailer hitch on my '02. I did it the hard way, though, when the car was brand new. I removed the bumper cover and the bumper assembly to get the frame-rail bolts in. I have had this hitch on the car for well over 100,000 miles with no problems, about 3,200 of those actually towing. I tow about a 600lb stub trailer with <100lb tongue weight that carries my camping/backpacking gear. With the duratec I did not have to reroute any hose. Spray the hitch with 3M's "888" rust proofing compound to preserve it after installation. The bumper bolts rust very fast due to the abuse from the rear wheels even with rear mudflaps. A nice, high quality hitch. For this light application I did not install a transmission cooler although I religiously change the transmission fluid every 25kmis and cleaned the OEM cooler prior to each tow.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (drjkel @ Jun 1 2009, 08:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=729538
QUOTE (double trouble @ Jun 1 2009, 06:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=729498
I just need a little advice and encouragement .[/b]

I installed the Hidden Hitch M/N 90308 Class-II trailer hitch on my '02. I did it the hard way, though, when the car was brand new. I removed the bumper cover and the bumper assembly to get the frame-rail bolts in. I have had this hitch on the car for well over 100,000 miles with no problems, about 3,200 of those actually towing. I tow about a 600lb stub trailer with <100lb tongue weight that carries my camping/backpacking gear. With the duratec I did not have to reroute any hose. Spray the hitch with 3M's "888" rust proofing compound to preserve it after installation. The bumper bolts rust very fast due to the abuse from the rear wheels even with rear mudflaps. A nice, high quality hitch. For this light application I did not install a transmission cooler although I religiously change the transmission fluid every 25kmis and cleaned the OEM cooler prior to each tow.
[/b][/quote]
mine is a vulcan . I doubt if i have to remove the bumper cover and i just looked and there is no canister in the way. It looks like an hour job at worst.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this thread is a bit old, but I put the hidden hitch on my '03 vulcan. You have to face the arms on the nuts toward the front of the car, not the back as stated in the instructions. I wouldn't tow anything over 800 lbs with the Vulcan. I had my family of four and 2 ATC's out back and it was barely able to accelerate. I had to raise the rear struts 3/4 inch as well.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Make sure that the used hitch is not a pile of rust from an East Coast or Snowbelt Seller, and the special nuts will be included. If the special nuts are not included, you may be able to order replacements from the Hitch Manufacturer.

Sometimes people selling used trailer hiches do not include all of the hardware, because when the hich was removed, the special nuts were not fished out of the holes in the frame rails (PITA).

On earlier Taurii, and Sable, the holes that the special nuts are passed through into the frame rails are too small, and they have to be enlarged. Be thankful that you don't have to do that.

Tie a piece of string to the special nuts before you push them into the frame, and use it to guide the nuts into position (so helps prevent loss of the nuts inside the frame rails.

I would not exceed the tow rating of your engine/car, because you are going to destroy the transmission (especially if you are an unfortunate owner of the commonly installed AX4S transmission (transmission bottom pan and side cover are marked AXODE). The AX4N transmission is the better (more heavy duty model), but I would not tow unless you have a tranny cooler installed regardless of which transmission your car has.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts