Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2000 Sable LS Station wagon
As the title says...I hit a deer on my way home last night....broke the grill, dented the hood, broke the driver side headlight assembly, and dented the fender.
Went to the bone-yard today and found pretty good '02 Sable sedan for replacement parts (wrong color, but who cares). Pretty sure nothing else is too messed up.

My question is, "How hard is it to replace the hood and fender? Are there any tutorials? Anybody got pictures?

I appreciate any help you can give

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
I dont know of any write-ups for changing the hood & fenders, but it is fairly easy. You will get to learn how to do it by taking the one at the junkyard apart. Just start with the bumper cover and work back. I never realised how easy it is to take off the bumper cover until I did it, now I take it off all the time becasue its easier than working around it.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Check the radiator shroud/mount.

I had a deer do the Dukes of Hazard slide over the hood of my Ford ZX2 at 50 MPH. I didn't brake or swerve...did not have a chance to.

Anyways, the hood was flat, the front of the left fender was dented and a fog light was hanging down. He scuffed some paint on the front bumper cover but didn't break it at all.

Damage did not look that bad until the body shop (covered by insurance) removed the bumper cover and found a lot cracked under there. Needed a new radiator, the fan shroud, radiator mounts, fog light bracket, the metal bumper/foam under the bumper cover....ended up being $2100 of damage.

·
Registered
1997 Ford Taurus 3.0L Wagon 226,362 miles
461 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my '97 wagon - except it wasn't from a deer. But since the car was still driveable (albeit with a missing headlight), I took my time fixing it, searching Craigslist until I found someone dumping an entire car of the same color. I got it for $200, towed it home, and had the two cars side by side at the house swapping the parts. Worked out great! And it looks great! My Taurus was one of the LAST cars off the assembly line in '97 while the "donor" car was one of the FIRST '98's off the line. The paint match was perfect!

As far as replacing the pieces, it's just a bunch of bolts, nothing very difficult. What I did was use a bunch of "snack"-sized ziplock baggies with small pieces of paper inside to keep all the bolts separated and in order. It's a little more trouble, but this way you'll know that you put ALL the bolts back in their right spots. For my car, I swapped the hood, front bumper cover, headlight, driver's fender, and the upper radiator support - which is a color-coded fiberglass piece that runs from headlight to headlight atop the radiator and provides the mounting sockets for the headlights. If your headlight got crushed deep enough, you may need to replace this part, too (otherwise you won't be able to properly aim the headlight). Be careful with the hood. It's heavier than it looks, and more awkward to position that it appears at first (especially on re-install when you don't want it to slip and scratch or dent your fenders). A 2nd set of hands is very helpful. My 2nd set of hands was a wire from the top bar of a temporarily-gutted swingset while the cars were parked in the swingset's two "bays" below. Whatever works for you.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Colt, I have to give you credit, the swing set idea is brilliant! Good thinking for that "second" set of hands.

·
Registered
1997 Ford Taurus 3.0L Wagon 226,362 miles
461 Posts
Thanks!

Next I'll be trying to use the swingset to lift the engine out of my '89 Colt for the rebuild project ...

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Thanks!

Next I'll be trying to use the swingset to lift the engine out of my '89 Colt for the rebuild project ...
If the legs are anchored good so they can't sink, and the top tube is in good shape, you probably can.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts