Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
97 GL w/ 3.0 OHV "U" Vulcan.

Strange "Hissing" noise/sound coming from the engine area when placed into Drive or Reverse. Hot or cold idle, and you can hear it slightly when in park as well but just barely.
Never really noticed if the noise has ever been there before or not. Had it in the shop at work today, just tinkering with the datalogger when I noticed it.
It almost sounds like a MAJOR intake/ vacuum leak but We have checked this car 15 times for vacuum leaks over the past few weeks due to an ongoing idle issue I am having.
This noise almost sounds like it is coming from the lower engine area, drivers side sort of around the transmission. Trans works just fine.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
The transmission solenoids in the valve body make that sound when changing gears, normal sound to hear on a electronic transmission. Ever hear a Chrysler transmission go into gear? Those solenoids make more noise than these do!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The transmission solenoids in the valve body make that sound when changing gears, normal sound to hear on a electronic transmission. Ever hear a Chrysler transmission go into gear? Those solenoids make more noise than these do!
LOL pretty much every Caravan in a parking lot makes noises like gerbils chewing on plastic pellets. Why is the world they would design their solenoids like that is beyond me. Then again we're talking about Chrysler, the guys who bury batteries in fenders...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts