Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at putting high wattage spot lamps on my Taurus. I'm going into SAR and kinda need them. I'm also going to add radio equipment and etc. I'm starting to think my taurus's stock alternator isn't going to cut it. My lights already dim (for a split second) whenever the cooling fans engage. (and all I have is my stereo Foglamps and Headlamps on) (and the stereo isnt even cranked up)

So, Where can I find a higher amperage alternator? I see 130A Alternators on Rockauto for G3 Tauruses, but I'm thinking more along the lines of 200Amps maybe?

Things I aim to add in the future:

-Driving lamps
-Emergency Headlamp Strobes (with tail reverse strobes)
-New Headunit for stereo
-10" Self powered Subwoofer
-CB/UHF/VHF radio
(For Fun) Neon Underglow

--Car Stats--
1996 Ford Taurus GL
83K+ Miles
Silverstar Ultras
Foglamps

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
The new head unit and the self power sub wont be any extra draw on the system. The other items wont be huge draws. I have a 90A unit in my SHO and I have been fine with my stereo system. If you want more, any local alternator shop can rebuild your unit to higher amps for a nominal charge. They would of done it for mine if I wanted.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The new head unit and the self power sub wont be any extra draw on the system. The other items wont be huge draws. I have a 90A unit in my SHO and I have been fine with my stereo system. If you want more, any local alternator shop can rebuild your unit to higher amps for a nominal charge. They would of done it for mine if I wanted.
[/b]
Ok neat :D

I've just kinda gotten iffied about my lamps dimming when the cooling fans kick on. :unsure:

But You know of any good general shops to look for?

(also about those CF hoods. Do you know if I could keep my hood squirter's by drilling em in? just a question.)

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Upgrade the "big 3" first... also get a heavy duty headlight harness for the headlamps, and one for the driving lamps. I doubt you'll have any dimming issues after that.
[/b]
I already upgraded one of the big three (negative to ground. Next comes the Positive lead and the engine to ground. Thanks for the advice. I have yet to get some HD harnesses. will do soon :thumb: :p

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Ok neat :D

I've just kinda gotten iffied about my lamps dimming when the cooling fans kick on. :unsure:

But You know of any good general shops to look for?

(also about those CF hoods. Do you know if I could keep my hood squirter's by drilling em in? just a question.)
[/b][/quote]

I should clarify that the self powered sub wont be a big draw as I remember the internal amp not being very much.

Just look around for an alternator rebuilding shop. For recommendation ask local auto parts stores or speed shops.

Yes you can as I belive some have done that.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
There is an ebay vendor that has high amps alternator. I don't remember the name, but if you do a seach, you'll find the link.

They have pretty good prices too.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
The ebay ones are $229 with no core charge + $12 shipping.

I wouldn't go that route unless you can't find a place that rebuilds alternators locally. :)

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
The ebay ones are $229 with no core charge + $12 shipping.

I wouldn't go that route unless you can't find a place that rebuilds alternators locally. :)
[/b]
THe Ebay vendor that I was reffering to has competitive prices. They also have 99% positive feedback. Total amount of feedback is at least 2000.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
The vendor I posted about has 100% positive feedback, score of over 25,000...we're probably thinking of the same people.

I'm not saying they're bad, just that having your current alternator rebuilt locally is going to be much less expensive. Their prices are comparable to a brand new stock Motorcraft alt.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
The vendor I posted about has 100% positive feedback, score of over 25,000...we're probably thinking of the same people.

I'm not saying they're bad, just that having your current alternator rebuilt locally is going to be much less expensive. Their prices are comparable to a brand new stock Motorcraft alt.
[/b]
You're right, we are thinking of the same vendor.

It's called DB Electrical. :thumb:

What's the cost to rebuild the alternator for higher output?

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Depends on the alternator and rebuilder but can be around $100 for it.
[/b]
Wow. And they need it for about 4 hours?

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Do you recommend $100 local rebuilds over $150 auto part store brands? Do local rebuilders use better parts?
Thanks.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
They need at least a day maybe more depending if they have the parts on hand.

Well the AutoZone guy recommended the rebuilder over their alternators, so take it for what its worth.

Rebuilders do take a good look at the alternators and can use better parts. It all depends on the rebuilder though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts