Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i start up my car when the engine is completely cooled down, drive it down the drive way in 1st and it wont shift into 2nd gear until it gets to about 3000rpm and it kinda jerks itself into 2nd. then ill stop at thr stop sign start driving again and it shifts just fine. ill start up the car when the engine is warm and it shifts fine. so it only does this on a cold start up and only the first time it goes into 2nd gear. I was told it might be the IAC, which is the only thing i can think of, but im not getting any CEL. so im trying to figure out what else it could be.. any ideas?

Someone said it might be the throttle valve getting stuck or something but im not sure on how to test that.

Also my car idle rpm in drive is around 900. does that seem high?

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
^ Seems a bit high. Mine warm idle at 750rpm. Maybe clean/replace iac. None of my faulty iacs threw codes. Might check for vacuum leaks and test the tps (throttle position sensor) too. When its idling at 900rpm, place in park, set the e-brake and tap the iac with the handle end of a screwdriver to see if idle lowers a bit. Also a good idea to clean the throttle body and butterfly with some throttle body intake spray cleaner. You can use the tb spray cleaner on the iac, also. Good luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I havent checked for vacuum leaks yet and i wouldnt know how to test the tsp even if i knew where it was... But i tapped on the iac while in park and at 900rpm and i didnt see or hear a noticeable change in rpm. would that mean its not the iac? I used this 3M DIY fuel system tune up kit a few weeks ago and part of it was cleaning the throttle body. so thats already been done.

which is the safer method for checking for vacuum leaks? carburetor cleaner or propane tank? both seem like they can start a fire..

Amazon.com: 3M 08963 Do-It Yourself Fuel System Tune Up Kit: Automotive

1 - 3 of 3 Posts