Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've just invested in a 320 amp alt and it's going to be charging at about 15.3v I need to know if my 2014 ford taurus limited 3.5l would have a problem at that voltage? Please any insight would be great. I also swapped over to lithium LTO

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
So I've just invested in a 320 amp alt and it's going to be charging at about 15.3v I need to know if my 2014 ford taurus limited 3.5l would have a problem at that voltage? Please any insight would be great. I also swapped over to lithium LTO
The life of incandescent bulbs changes with the -16th power of the V/V where the lower V is rated volts. +5% cuts life in half. Small bulbs are rated
at 14V and HL use dropping resistor wires to drop 13.8 to 12.4V. I bought a used '03 and it was charfing 15.2 most of the time. All the dash and console bulbs were burned out at 99K miles. I replaced the Alt. Rest of the car did not care except rear lamps were black but still burning.
-chart-

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The life of incandescent bulbs changes with the -16th power of the V/V where the lower V is rated volts. +5% cuts life in half. Small bulbs are rated
at 14V and HL use dropping resistor wires to drop 13.8 to 12.4V. I bought a used '03 and it was charfing 15.2 most of the time. All the dash and console bulbs were burned out at 99K miles. I replaced the Alt. Rest of the car did not care except rear lamps were black but still burning.
-chart-

So it's a bad idea to charge that high?

·
Registered
2001 Taurus SES Sedan in Chestnut
54 Posts
I have a 200amp alternator in my 01 bull for 4+ years, I also have one of those bluetooth adapters with voltage readout, and it ranges from 13.4-15 volts. I've never had a problem with the electrical system at all, one thing to note that I changed all, but the instrument gauges, to led lights and HID headlights with a variable load directional relay. Just wanted to add that the regular bulbs say on it 12 volt, my LED bulbs and HID headlights are multi voltage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts