Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just curious who all out there is still driving there bulls with 200k, 300K maybe even 400K ? and if so can you post what you have done to keep it going that long and also just how much to you like your bull ?
i recently purchased a 2004 SES 3.0L Vulcan with 155k onit and i expect another 100k Given the tranny dont crap out on me . im curious to hear all your stories, also what motor oils and wights do you guys use ?!!? SHARE your stories !!!

·
Registered
6,574 Posts
I had a 1990 and 1993 that made over 245k each. I donated the 90 while still running but the 93 had a bad trans. My 2006 has 197K and still running but my one 2001 has 167K and it will be lucky to make 175K. May have a leaky head gasket. Havoline oil and Fram filters got me most of the way and I switched to any oil and MC filters a few years ago. 10W-30 on the 90's and 5W-20 0n the 2000s.

·
Registered
22,431 Posts
I've had 4 '98/'99 tecs just shy of 400k mi. when they were salvaged due to elec., suspension, rust, car-deer accidents and 3 sons drivers. All had original engs./trans. All could have been driven to the salvage yard if they had offered me more $ to do so, lol! 6qts. Supertech (Walmart) 5/30 conv. oil and a Motorcraft FL820S filter ea. 3-5k mi. 6-8qts. Supertech Mercon V atf with an Autozone filter ea. 30k mi. Pan drop only. Periodic ps fluid (mercon v atf), brake fluid, coolant, fuel filter, eng. air filter and cabin (pollen) filter changes. Normal preventive maintenance and wear items replaced along the way.

·
Administrator
14,913 Posts
There are many threads here on this subject, they make for interesting reading. We have driven literally millions of miles in assorted Bulls/SHO's/Conti's and another 500k+ in Vulcan powered Rangers, every one of them was running and shifting fine when they left with no internal engine repairs on any of them. Our son is still driving one of those Rangers, that Vulcan has over 400k on it. Coolant system service (30k/2 yr interval) is #1 with a bullet on a Vulcan, closely followed by trans pan drops every 30k, brake and ps fluid reservoir changes done with coolant service. 5W30 dino oil w/Motorcraft filters 3k/6 month interval for the Tecs & Vulcans. Other than family considerations and one wagon that was totaled with 294k on the odo it has been rust and teenagers, not drive train failures, that have done for our Bulls.

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,750 Posts
Mine's a relatively low-mileage wagon at 192,000 or close to it. I do all the maintenance myself, or have a trusted mechanic or transmission guy do what I can't handle. I have shelled out to have the transmission rebuilt - why take chances on another tranny as old as mine is, when I can have mine rebuilt and KNOW it was done right? I've re-done the HVAC system, the front end and the rear end. Rust is no problem here in Florida. I can hop in and still drive the car 3000 miles without a worry. It's comfortable and I know every cubic inch of it after all this time.

Do what maintenance the car needs, within reason - don't dump money into a lemon, but find a well-built car and maintain it - and it will live as long as you do.

Do I like it? I've owned it 19 years. You tell me. :D

·
Registered
267 Posts
213,000 I do my own work. That said, I went kinda loony on mine. To wit: When I got mine, it needed a set of tires so I got a set of Falkens. In for a dime, in for a dollar. The engine promptly overheated on a hill on the freeway--so bad that the electrodes were burned off the spark plugs. Towed home, I couldn't just give this nice rust free wagon a proper burial, so I found a relatively lo mile engine--about 100,000 miles on it. While I had the engine/trans/subframe out, I replaced the aged motor and trans. mounts, & the dog bone. All the standard tune up stuff, including the lower mileage coil pack that came with the replacement motor. As I said, in for a dime, in for a dollar, so the car got new tie rod ends, one new half shaft, ball joints, KYB struts and shocks, strut bearings, sway bar endlinks, and subframe mounts. And of course the obligatory replacement vacuum hoses, pcv valve and hose, serpentine belt, and all new coolant hoses. Air and cab filters, too.

Ran really fine around sunny, hot Tucson. But when I took it out on I 10, it got pretty hot but didn't overheat. So I installed a new radiator, which did the trick.

I'm never going to get what I've got into it because of the high mileage. In retrospect, I should have eaten the cost of the car & tires and sent it to the Pick a Part. I have too many cars and not enough room, so I'm prepping it for sale--it's a great car and someone will get a wonderful deal.

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
Oh, btw, I use 5w-30 full synthetic oil. On about a 6000 mile change interval or once a year & a Wix filter.
Pic from the internet: It was a Bull. And I use Wallyworld conventional and change my Lin Cont and '03 wagon about 2X per year based on low use. Each about 5K per year. Sleeping outside in the North country, lots of short trips. I am on Bull #7 & #8 all bought used, all went to my daughters after I drove them in my work. (back when) No engine issues. Only one ('88) was prime used, others 'fixers' Lin Cont #5 and one new, others used. No engine issues. Except for '93 in which dealer replaced the engine ~20K due to strange engine knock. I bought it at 20K and knock appeared with the first cold overnight.

I switched to 10-30 due to DOHC leaks.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yeah, my 01 has a Vulcan. I think it's a pretty nice engine for a tractor motor--I used to drive Fieros, it's waaay nicer than either an Iron Duke or a 2.8 V6. All have a tendency to run quite warm and synthetic resists thermal breakdown enough better that it's worth the extra cost.;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
1995 Gen 2

I am the 2nd owner, it was an off-lease company car that I bought in 1997 with 40K on odometer.

I still own it, the odometer reads 220,000 miles, but the actual mileage is 110,000 miles higher or 330,000 since I have replaced the speedo head 2 times to date with junkyard units. The transmission went out at 300K miles and I had it replaced with a rebuilt for $1800.

I do most of the work myself. Parts still plentiful at Autozone or the like. My best supplier is the junkyard down the road.

The car is still mostly stock, although I put in a new stereo and speakers.

It is somewhat special as it came with keyless entry and 4 wheel disc/antilock brakes.

Most of the accessories under the hood have been replaced: starter, alternator, radiator, rack & pinion, PS pump, water pump, timing chain. The AC compressor is the original (stock R134a), but I just replaced the clutch assembly.

The old V6 Vulcan sounds nice, and I love the way the car hugs the road. It is my daily driver.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought my 2002 Ford Taurus SE about 3 months ago and it sits at 1956xx miles. No shaking in the engine and still has that smooth sounding whine a new engine has! Having all my heater and radiator hoses and heater core replaced today. Trying to find answers on how to replace my halogen headlights with HID headlights!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
My wagon is sitting at about 192K, Being that I got my wife a new car I'm driving the wagon again for work so the mileage is going to be racking up. I give it about another 3-4 months before it's at 200K.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
I bought my 2002 Ford Taurus SE about 3 months ago and it sits at 1956xx miles. No shaking in the engine and still has that smooth sounding whine a new engine has! Having all my heater and radiator hoses and heater core replaced today. Trying to find answers on how to replace my halogen headlights with HID headlights!

Only can use shutter type HID for high / low beam. Bi style are a joke. Even HID stink in these cars. Every bull I've had has had lousy designed headlights and I've had a few and the last 3 had HID conversions.

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
My wagon is sitting at about 192K, Being that I got my wife a new car I'm driving the wagon again for work so the mileage is going to be racking up. I give it about another 3-4 months before it's at 200K.

Back when I worked for pay: :D I drove about 600 mi per week in my own car, and about 10K per year for personal use. 3 ltd's and 4 Bulls, used and then passed on to the daughters. Only one time in 18 years did I have one quit beside the road. Ignition module on '87. Returned with used distributer and put it in and timed it by ear and made it home.

-chart-

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have 150,000 miles on my 02 Wagon with 3 liter Vulcan. Runs smooth. No issues with cam syncronizer (knock wood). Used 5-30 Synthetic but two years ago went to Quater State Defy 5-30 to help slow down oil drips (with good results after two oil changes). Still have all the original accessories. Had to replace all the dash lights and sun sensor. Found the rear disc brake calipers are prone to seizing after a snowy and salty winter season. (They need to be cleaned and lubed in the spring). Springs are starting to sag in the back. Might poor boy it and go to Air shocks.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Forgot to mention, I had to get the speed sensor on the tranny replaced. Symptoms were ambiguous shifts and wouldn't go above 2nd gear. Don't turf your car because of tranny issues until you check this. It did trigger a code.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Forgot to mention, I had to get the speed sensor on the tranny replaced. Symptoms were ambiguous shifts and wouldn't go above 2nd gear. Don't turf your car because of tranny issues until you check this. It did trigger a code.
Exact same experience for me this past summer at 183K. It's kinda what endeared me to the car because I was able to use the code and this board to figure out the problem and replace the sensor on my own for under $40. It immediately started shifting so much better.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
About this Discussion
64 Replies
28 Participants
95TaurusinSK
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing