Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While serving my monthly sentence in OKC, I've been trolling Craigslist, etc searching for a decent used Gen4 Taurus/Sable. I've seen quite a few with 150K-250K miles on them. Probably 3 or 4 in the 200K-250K range.

I don't get to see that much up in the Great White North, as the cancer eats them long before they make it that far.

·
Registered
382 Posts
See quite a few down here in AZ. Mine is just about to tick over 177k. I also see plenty on the Phx CL that are ~200k.

Sad thing is, many have blown engines/gaskets/etc.. people just don't seem to properly maintain them in this heat.

·
Owner of #RaceSable
2,398 Posts
Only issues I have with allison are gaskets (172,XXX), once I replace those she'll be good as new!

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
I'll hit 176k miles on my 2000 Vulcan tomorrow. The only non-routine maintenance items I've had to replace were the A/C compressor, the fuel pump and the instrument cluster. She still drives like the day she rolled off the lot, actually better when you factor in my suspension and brake upgrades.

My old '95 Essex and my wife's old '96 'Tec both had over 200k on the clock when we got rid of them. Both had minimal issues along the way. My old '93 SHO was at almost 300k miles when it got totalled. I also have a friend that has owned his 2000 since '02 and now has over 400k miles on it. It's on it's third AX4S, but the original FFV Vulcan is still trucking along. It's hard to beat a well maintained Taurus for economical reliability. I have every intention of keeping my 2000 for another 176k miles.

·
Registered
538 Posts
204,000 here. Though my car has been in AZ for over three years, it was originally an Oklahoma car.

Rebuilt half of the engine recently (preemptively, mostly) so I'm fully expecting 250-300k if I decided to chase it.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Got a couple V8 SHO's over 200k

Welded? You bet. Got plenty of spare engines, too - just waiting for rust free bodies to come along.

·
TCCA Facebook Admin
3,981 Posts
Got a couple V8 SHO's over 200k

Welded? You bet. Got plenty of spare engines, too - just waiting for rust free bodies to come along.
You could always import from the great PNW where we have an abunded selection of rust free unwelded V8s.

Sent from Josh's LG Optimus F6-S

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had 250k on my '92 L. It commuted about 50 miles a day on country roads. I was always having the suspension worked on. The engine never gave me a bit of trouble.

The original transmission finally started going. The oil pump was also getting cranky. It needed ANOTHER steering rack. A co-worker bought it from me for 200 bucks and against my advice, started driving it to Norfolk and back. He ended up getting stuck on I64 when the tranny gave up the ghost. A shame. The car had nice new tires on it too.

·
Registered
303 Posts
220,000 miles on the 3.0 in my Autocross SHO. Still revved to 8500 RPM and still beat one. Not a puff of smoke, not a drop of oil.

-Sam

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
I had a 90 and a 93 reach over 245k miles each. The 90 was going strong when I gave her up but the 93 had a transmission problems. But Vulcan engines.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's hard to beat a well maintained Taurus for economical reliability.
I keep trying to impress that upon my daughter (and wife) who's looking for a car. For $3K-4K you can get a decent, clean car that will get her 5 years and 50K miles down the road, and still probably have less than 200K on it. But, she'd rather spend 2X that much on some SUVish thing.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
I keep trying to impress that upon my daughter (and wife) who's looking for a car. For $3K-4K you can get a decent, clean car that will get her 5 years and 50K miles down the road, and still probably have less than 200K on it. But, she'd rather spend 2X that much on some SUVish thing.
I've always preferred cars over trucks or SUVs. They have their place, but for just basic every day commuting, a car is better. Usually better gas mileage, better handling due to lower center of gravity (start taking about how low CG is good and maybe their eyes will glaze over) and less roll over risks. Normally shorter stopping distances too.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
If your daughter is paying 100% of the cost of the vehicle, and 100% of her own insurance, let her do what she wants, and when it goes bad she can learn a valuable life lesson. If you are at all financially invested, tell her that she will get what she gets and like it! No, everyone does not win, and no, everyone does not get a trophy, lol!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ive put around 6k or so on my so far nameless Taurus, I have high hopes to put 10 times that or more without major issues!

I admit the idea of buying a high mileage car scares me . . . . most cars I went and looked at in the car buying process that resulted in this car looked ready to be cast in The Walking Dead

Having used an F150 as my daily commute mobile for many months I am soooooo happy to be driving a car again! Parking is a dream! Backing is so nice! Gas stations are not quite as painful!

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
My 92 had 254k when I sold it,

·
Registered
382 Posts
LOL, I love that the line RIGHT below the highlighted one shows it as "Dealer Inventory" followed by "Vehicle offered for Sale"

God I hope they actually replaced the trans and/or engine in that 5 month time period...or at least did a serious overhaul/repair on it.

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,761 Posts
My wagon turned 185,000 miles last month. Still runs well. Just had the distributor replaced, first shop repair in six years.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts