Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greeting everyone,

Here's my problem.

Last night for the 3rd times, the Highlight beam starts to not function probably,
If I hit the SIGNAL SWITCH 4/10 times the highlight will not turn on!

the signal switch is good, I can hear the sound of headlight switch and the highlight blue indicator is on just no highlight beam!

My car's warranty has expired 5 months ago., I took my car twice to the dealer to fix for the same problem, and in each time they replace a part I don't know and they gave me a new card that contain a new PIN Lock Code for the car's door.

So, Any one know what's the real problem ?
Do I have to change the same part that will change the Car's PIN Lock code?! "what is this part?"

" Checked OBD2 Torque app : no error found!"

Thank you all in advance. :)

· Premium Member
2,683 Posts
Majed,

Consider using an app like FORScan, covered a number of times on this site. FORScan has the ability to reach other modules in your vehicle than a base app that can only do OBD-II protocols.

The high beam on these vehicles are purely mechanical; a shutter opens up to release more light to create the high beam. It is possible that the shutter mechanicals may have failed.

In the laptop version of FORScan, I was able to command the BCM (you have an SJB, but same principles /should/ apply) to modulate the headlight beams and assemblies independently. You may find this helpful for troubleshooting purposes.

Please keep us posted as you troubleshoot.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Majed,

Consider using an app like FORScan, covered a number of times on this site. FORScan has the ability to reach other modules in your vehicle than a base app that can only do OBD-II protocols.

The high beam on these vehicles are purely mechanical; a shutter opens up to release more light to create the high beam. It is possible that the shutter mechanicals may have failed.

In the laptop version of FORScan, I was able to command the BCM (you have an SJB, but same principles /should/ apply) to modulate the headlight beams and assemblies independently. You may find this helpful for troubleshooting purposes.

Please keep us posted as you troubleshoot.

Thank you.

When I turn the High light on I can hear the sound of the shutter as it move!
Is that an evidence it does work ?

anyway, I will try this app and see the result.

· Premium Member
2,683 Posts
The 9006 in your 2012 only has a single filament. Whether normal headlight or high beam operation, the power to the bulb is the same. The only difference is when the high beam is engaged, the shutter moves to allow more light to pass through at the top of the beam. In absolute terms, the bulb is no brighter, and in fact, experiences no change in operation.

I think you may only be hearing the shutter in the opposite/still working assembly. Or there may be a solenoid or something similar triggering but never able to actually move the shutter itself.

If the beam of light comes through the bulb during normal operation, but doesn't change with the highbeams, your shutter is not moving.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 9006 in your 2012 only has a single filament. Whether normal headlight or high beam operation, the power to the bulb is the same. The only difference is when the high beam is engaged, the shutter moves to allow more light to pass through at the top of the beam. In absolute terms, the bulb is no brighter, and in fact, experiences no change in operation.

I think you may only be hearing the shutter in the opposite/still working assembly. Or there may be a solenoid or something similar triggering but never able to actually move the shutter itself.

If the beam of light comes through the bulb during normal operation, but doesn't change with the highbeams, your shutter is not moving.
Understood, but one question please.

In the 2 times I took the car to the dealer to fix the problem, he fixed it and also gave me a new card contain a new PIN Lock code for the door, do you know why ?

what is the relation?!

· Premium Member
2,683 Posts
I'm guessing that the repair shop replaced the SJB, since the SJB is responsible for most vehicle electronics including the headlight. The PIN code is burned into the SJB, so the vehicle's permanent PIN code changed when they replaced that module.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I'm guessing that the repair shop replaced the SJB, since the SJB is responsible for most vehicle electronics including the headlight. The PIN code is burned into the SJB, so the vehicle's permanent PIN code changed when they replaced that module.
Thank you for this informative posts.

I will try FORScan tomorrow and see, hope the last solution is not replacing the SJB, cause this is the 3rd time, sure something is not right!

hope the app is easy to use :)

I think the dealer doesn't want to waste his time, just replaced that part under warranty and the real problem still exist!

· Premium Member
2,683 Posts
I would be truly surprised if the SJB were actually the root cause of the fault. More likely that the mechanicals of the headlamp have failed.

But that is purely speculation at this point. This is the first I have heard of this issue.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would be truly surprised if the SJB were actually the root cause of the fault. More likely that the mechanicals of the headlamp have failed.

But that is purely speculation at this point. This is the first I have heard of this issue.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I did all the Self -Test and no errors found!

What exactly should I do with the app to test the headlight ?

Note: This morning/Afternoon, the Highlight beam is working as it should be, it does response to all attempts!

· Premium Member
2,683 Posts
The self-tests are very helpful. In FORScan under the same page you use to monitor various PIDs will allow you to also command them. You need to command the SJB to enable the offending side headbeam output, if the program is capable. (It was for my car, I can't speak for yours. Their support for vehicle functions grows with every revision, but may not be complete... yet.)

This is really only helpful if it helps you to troubleshoot by being in front of the car rather than in the driver's seat trying to test this. It's like having someone pull the stalk for you so you can get a better idea of what's going on closer to the part.

Based on what you've said, I'm guessing that the mechanicals in the headlight are going and the SJB was never the problem. Maybe someone else can chime in, I've never pulled apart the headlight to see what is serviceable and what isn't. Apologies that this post isn't more helpful. If all the tests pass and no errors show up in FORScan under the DTC tab, it is difficult to go much further. I would provide you with some troubleshooting tips from my 2014 manual, but I don't know if they will mislead you with a 2012 as the electrical does differ.

· Registered
2 Posts
Same intermittent high beam issue on my 2012 Taurus SEL AWD. Every now and then when the steering wheel stalk switch is pushed/pulled for high beam operation, I can hear the shutter open and the lamps project higher but it's seldom that the shutter opens. In all cases, an open shutter or not, the blue high beam IP indicator light works correctly. Any suggestions? BTW, I just retrofitted the halogen bulbs with a LED conversion kit and decoder interconnect and it provides much more night driving visibility.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts