Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 97 taurus with the 3.0L V6. Car has been idling high. Its usually just above 1400rpm and below 2000rpm. Why is it doing this?! I pulled a code and it said PO430 (bank 2 catalyst below threshold). Can someone please translate this? Plugs n wires haven't been replaced since last July. A new y-pipe and two catalytic converters were installed about a month ago. I replaced one oxygen sensor since it shot a code. It was in bank 1 upstream. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so if there's 30 or more views of the topic n no one has an answer i guess im **** out of luck? so everyone having the same type of problem then huh? even with the code that my car is showing. hmmm what to doooooo?!

·
Registered
2 Posts
:( your lucky this isnt a major repair. I had this problem too. It is your throttle position sensor or your iac is sticking. Its most likely your tp sensor tho
60 dollar fix :D

·
Registered
702 Posts
I purposely made mine idle at a higher rate because it sounded like it was going to die. There's an adjustment screw on the acceleration switch (for lack of the proper term). With the car off, push the gas pedal while someone watches the engine for movement. (the accelerate thing on mine is towards the right side). Adjust the screw to raise the idle rpms.

Note to self: never say "accelerate thing" again... Learn correct terms.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
P0430 is that it failed catalyst effeeciency test in other words you HAD a bad catalytic convertor but since you replaced the assembly then you should be good in that respect.

It your car a vulcan or a duratec????

I would look into a IAC problem a tps would set a code and it technically would have an erratic low idle problem but it shouldn't idle high for a tps.

If the computer senses ( faulty TPS ) that you have come off of idle then it will no longer use the IAC.

are there any obstructions holding your throttle open i.e. carbon build up?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Sounds like the IAC valve. Maybe just a vacuum leak, though.

Did you clear the 430 code and have it come back?

SpeedyGreeny, I don't recommend setting idle speed that way. It should be set in the PCM, and controlled by the IAC.

·
Registered
702 Posts
PCM, IAC... what? I know very little car terms. Computers on the other hand... those I can deal with.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by SpeedyGreeny@Jun 24 2004, 12:52 AM
PCM, IAC... what? I know very little car terms. Computers on the other hand... those I can deal with.
PCM Powertrain Control Module
IAC Idle Air Control

Here's a link to a page on my website that has a lot of the automotive acronyms, hope it helps. Automotive Acronyms

What eCar is saying is don't set the idle speed manually like you are doing with the screw but instead set it the proper way by change the correct variable in the PCM that sets the idle speed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts