Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me!

Ok here's the deal. My "Desired Idle Control" which is what my cars computer wants the car to idle at is 704 RPM. (This is what my Autotap tells me)

After I had my accident it has idled at 1200 RPM in park with no brake on.

I was told today by the ford dealership that it is supposed to idle like that until I hit the brake then it slows the RPMS down, which it doesn't until the brake is full on and the car is completely stopped, even then it's in the mid 800 to 900 RPMs

I tried going to a slight incline and I just put my car in drive and it will pull itself up to 30 MPH. It has NEVER done this before, and they worked on it for " a day and a half." They can't fix it they said it's supposed to be like that so now it's in my hands..

They checked for vacuum leaks they said too.

What speed does everyone elses Duratec Idle at?

Who should I contact about this?
What's the next step?

G

·
when i first start my car, with no brake or anything like that my car idles at almost 2000rpms <_< it'll drop down a bit after awhile but not much...and when the car is drive and idling is about 750rpms.

mine use to idle normal until i got a tune up...never since then, its been like that. I couldn't really tell you where to go for that...cause i don't even know, i would like to take mine as well.
good luck with that hun.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Kermit, tell us what they have changed in engine compartment. It is clear that engine is getting more air than it needs.
There is a pin right under my accelerator cable, after I cleaned the TB, my idle screwed too. So I played with the screw (3 quarters of turn to open) to close TB plate fully (I guess) during idle. It helped a lot. I not sure Duratec has that pin.

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, The car had an accident, the first place screwed it up worse than it was initially, but they were the ones that dropped the engine and replaced the subframe. There was a little black box thing that fell out, but I think it was just molding from something. At the second place they fixed all the subframe issues and repainted it. At the third place... They replaced the coolant tank and "fixed the high idle" problem. Then I went in today and got the above comments. Nothing should have been replaced in that area of the car.

I have a CAI setup on it but it never had that problem before the accident. I will check to see if I can close the Throttle plate deal, I think my Autotap says it's 17.5% open when it's idle. I dunno I'll look for a screw.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
On cold mornings mine would idle at 1200 rpm until it was warm, and after it was fully warm it would drop to ~700 rpm. 1200 warm is def too high, thats gotta be a pita to push the pedal hard enough to keep it from rolling forward.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts