Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...I just got a 96 Taurus GL and Im trying to figure out what kinda problems it has and what the previous owner may have neglected. The very first thing that happened was a change of the Passengers side Inner Tie-Rod, both the lower ball joints, both the front rotors were replaced and the rear drums rebuilt. So, there was some money spent.

Now, I've got Idle problems I need to take care of. The car is a 3.0 and on start up it Idles really high at about 2k and then after about 30-40 secs it finally backs down to about 1200. When I'm lucky it'll idle about 900 in 1st. But, it obviously kicks real hard in to gear. On top of that, I had to take an hour drive last weekend and noticed that the car idles at about 1800-2200 when cruising at anywhere above 40 mph. It's like I have no overdrive...I never feel it shift.

I think I'll start by replacing the IAC and checkin the Tranny fluid....but what else may be causing these problems PCV, EGR, Ruined Tranny...LOL

·
Registered
23,364 Posts
When idling high, set e-brake, get out and tap iac with handle end of a screwdriver and see if the idle lowers. If so, remove iac and clean with throttle body spray or replace with a borg-warner unit from advance auto or oreilly.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
High idle/cruising RPMs can also be a result of bad or dirty MAF, and unmetered air getting into intake (vacuum leaks).

·
Super Moderator
8,591 Posts
I dont recall seeing this happen on an EEC V system, but on the older EEC IV systems TPS voltage too high at closed throttle would cause a hanging high idle.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
I dont recall seeing this happen on an EEC V system, but on the older EEC IV systems TPS voltage too high at closed throttle would cause a hanging high idle.
Jeff,
What is the year/model break between IV & V? Jus wonderin...

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
So...I just got a 96 Taurus GL and Im trying to figure out what kinda problems it has and what the previous owner may have neglected. The very first thing that happened was a change of the Passengers side Inner Tie-Rod, both the lower ball joints, both the front rotors were replaced and the rear drums rebuilt. So, there was some money spent.

Now, I've got Idle problems I need to take care of. The car is a 3.0 and on start up it Idles really high at about 2k and then after about 30-40 secs it finally backs down to about 1200. When I'm lucky it'll idle about 900 in 1st. But, it obviously kicks real hard in to gear. On top of that, I had to take an hour drive last weekend and noticed that the car idles at about 1800-2200 when cruising at anywhere above 40 mph. It's like I have no overdrive...I never feel it shift.

I think I'll start by replacing the IAC and checkin the Tranny fluid....but what else may be causing these problems PCV, EGR, Ruined Tranny...LOL

There's a 96 24v cold start, it was very cold when I took it. I shifted it into R while revving it up past 2k. There was no real kick.

From the video, just above 1,500k is where it sits on a cold start. 900 is normal for being in gear on a cold start. If you're thinking you don't have OD, try taking it out of OD while cursing and see what happens. You'll know if it gears down into 3rd. If you don't get anything, then you know there's an issue.

I would listen to the people who've replied above me, just thought I'd toss that in here.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
YouTube - 96 Taurus DOHC cold start

There's a 96 24v cold start, it was very cold when I took it. I shifted it into R while revving it up past 2k. There was no real kick.

From the video, just above 1,500k is where it sits on a cold start. 900 is normal for being in gear on a cold start. If you're thinking you don't have OD, try taking it out of OD while cursing and see what happens. You'll know if it gears down into 3rd. If you don't get anything, then you know there's an issue.

I would listen to the people who've replied above me, just thought I'd toss that in here.
Only 92k miles?! I'm jealous....

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
To see if the Idle Air Control is sticking, unplug it while the car is running. It should stumble, and Die or almost Die....If the idle stays unchanged, the the IAC is definitely sticking. Some good cleaner will fix that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
High Cruising Speed

Start with changing the IAC.

The high RPM when cruising, is that under throttle or off the throttle?
Thats the thing Its just high period...If throttle is applied RPM and Speed both increase....if the throttle is released both the RPM and Speed drop at an equal rate....basically there is no way of allowing the car to just cruise at Hwy/Interstate speed without the throttle being applied.

I had been told to check the A/T fluid...someone believe that a low fluid level would cause too low of a pressure level for the car to successfully shift into 4th. I haven't been able to stop long enough to check it....(Yes I know it only takes a few secs...but thats how hectic things are.)

As far as an electrical related idle issue...Im not familiar with any of that, but I have noticed the car has electrical issues...Door chime stays on as long as the passenger door is open, no matter whether the key is in the ignition or not. Sometimes it stays on for a few moments, even after the door is closed. The Left indicator sometimes shows that it is permanently illuminated (not flashing) whenever the lights are on. And, I have noticed no change in temp. from the temp gauge in over a week....it never raises above Cold. There are no era codes either tho, or check engine lights of any kind. The entire lighting systems experience surges at times.

Im going to see about checking the IAC and possibly ordering another one....Im pretty poor right now tho.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts