Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was Wondering what size catalytic converters (pipe inlet and outlet size) the 3rd Gen Duratec uses (in particular my 1996 LX) I am having my steering rack replaced and the cat's may need to be cut off, so I figured if there gonna but cut off, I may as well get high-flows installed for $80 rather than spending $540 on the ford Y-pipe system. I'm assumuing its anywhere from 2-2.5 inches....any help would be awesome!

(Also, If you know the size for a 1998 GL Vulcan, that would be appreciated as well)

Thanks!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
Catco also makes the entire Y-pipe assembly. Check with mike (that's his screen name). He has it on his car.

Also, do you already have the rack? There is a guy selling them on ebay. I bought mine for about $75 shipped. They are brand new Ford racks. Search for items by dirtcheap5.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i got my rack from dirt cheap as well, infact I think you may have been the one that won the auction instead of me :p . I just won a recent auction and my total was sumwhere around $115, I've purchased knuckles and floor mats from them as well.

:bump:

Any idea anyone on the diamter of the pipes? ..Please help :unsure:

I found the Catco Y-pipe on there site....but its for 94 and earlier...so I dont no about that option, and if they do they're still almost $300, doing the cats themselves will cost me $80-90. (I'm trying to keep things cheap sense i am doing exaust, rims, shocks, steering... all at the same time on an out of high school budget.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I believe that the pipes are 2.25" inches. IIRC, my system comes from 2.25" manifolds, back to the cats, then the flex pipe, then a long pipe to where it splits to 2x 2". I'm putting two 2.25" Flowmaster 40s on, so I need to either fab the rear y-pipe or get pipe adapters.

JR

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
downtubes on all years are 2"

The new supercharged mustang cobra only uses 2.25" downtubes..

Jeramie

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so the cat would be in 2" and out 2", and then in 1.75 for the mufflers? Sounds about right to me... Thanks for the input guys!

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by tmonster@Jul 29 2004, 10:31 AM
so the cat would be in 2" and out 2", and then in 1.75 for the mufflers? Sounds about right to me... Thanks for the input guys!
Yes, on a Gen3 duratec the cats are 2" in/out and the 2" all the way back to the rear y pipe where it reduces to 1.75". So yes 1.75" for mufflers if you are keeping the stock pipes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts