Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just completed a compression check and was wondering if anyone thinks these numbers are too high. This is for a 98' Sable w/DURATEC 3.0 24v engine.

Cylinder
1- 235
2- 210
3- 230
4- 220
5- 210
6- 225

I'm not sure what the correct specs are and my Haynes isn't very helpful.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
The Haynes manual doesn't have it because there really isn't a specific specification. The shop manual I have for the taurus / sable (SLO & SHO) says the lowest compression cylinder should be within 75% of the of the highest cylinder. That compression looks ok though. What's the problem? Or are you just checking the condition of your engine?

*EDIT*

Actually... I remember doing a compression test on my friend's sable 'tec and he had around the same readings. So i'd say it's pretty normal.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, just checking engine. never tried this before and since I had engine intakes off decided it was time (95,000 miles). most everything I've read or heard of others doing a compression test gave numbers in the 100's (not on a DURATEC though) so I was a bit curious. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
712 Posts
I think that your guage is inaccurate.

They look consistent though.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Originally posted by Tazbear@Jul 17 2004, 08:05 AM
yes, just checking engine. never tried this before and since I had engine intakes off decided it was time (95,000 miles). most everything I've read or heard of others doing a compression test gave numbers in the 100's (not on a DURATEC though) so I was a bit curious. Thanks!!!
Well 100 psi is the BARE MINIMUM for proper combustion... but don't expect alot of power. Vulcans should be around 150 psi. The duratec has higher pressures cause it has a higher compression ratio.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts