Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a few folks installed these but I didn't see any write-ups. This week I will be getting a set of Bi-Xenons for Wifeys ride and doing a write-up.

I went to DDM Tuning and ordered their kit...it's been installed on all cars I have had since 2007. Quality built kits. My Mercedes forum did a group purchase a few months ago.

I will also be swapping her OEM lens for Cent. Lens when I get the new ones.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have seen a few folks installed these but I didn't see any write-ups. This week I will be getting a set of Bi-Xenons for Wifeys ride and doing a write-up.

I went to DDM Tuning and ordered their kit...it's been installed on all cars I have had since 2007. Quality built kits. My Mercedes forum did a group purchase a few months ago.

I will also be swapping her OEM lens for Cent. Lens when I get the new ones.
Will you be doing it with projectors as well? Well good luck to you! I will be doing mine and perhaps a write up might help for others who feel like doing this.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
If you are doing it without projectors, do your homework first. Headlights are safety devices, and the idea is to project the right amount of light and aim and focus it correctly. An incorrect job will actually look brighter, but blinds oncoming drivers and projects a lot of light in the foreground while reducing your ability to see at night. Europe has begun moving away from HIDs in recent years, after they discovered that they were often downgrades from the new high output halogens.

Here is some reference material from a non-biased source. Warning, science content.
Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you are doing it without projectors, do your homework first. Headlights are safety devices, and the idea is to project the right amount of light and aim and focus it correctly. An incorrect job will actually look brighter, but blinds oncoming drivers and projects a lot of light in the foreground while reducing your ability to see at night. Europe has begun moving away from HIDs in recent years, after they discovered that they were often downgrades from the new high output halogens.

Here is some reference material from a non-biased source. Warning, science content.
Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply
Not sure why you feel the need to thread crap constantly. After veiwing MANY threads about HIDs...you continue to post about how much you think HIDs are the Devil. You probably think guns kill people too? No, People kill people with guns...and HIDs in improperly aimmed housings blind people. The new Taurus comes with HIDs in the similar housings to ours. My Mercedes has no projectors...and HIDs (OEM)...so please save your comments for someone elses thread. They are neither appreciated or wanted.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
As far as the write-up is concerned...I have pics and did the install...but I can see it's wrong. Our lights use dual grounds and a single power lead. The DDM Tuning lights come as dual power leads with a single ground. I'm guessing that most folks run into ballast and harness issues because these kits aren't made for the Ford wiring.

Regardless. I will create and post a how to based on information of what I gathered here and what most folks do. I however don't see how this will continue to function in the future.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Not sure why you feel the need to thread crap constantly. After veiwing MANY threads about HIDs...you continue to post about how much you think HIDs are the Devil. You probably think guns kill people too? No, People kill people with guns...and HIDs in improperly aimmed housings blind people. The new Taurus comes with HIDs in the similar housings to ours. My Mercedes has no projectors...and HIDs (OEM)...so please save your comments for someone elses thread. They are neither appreciated or wanted.
LoL, any halogen reflector will blind oncoming drivers after installing HIDs because halogen reflectors are aimed higher for better distance since the light source is so dim. However, aiming AFTER installing HIDs will prevent this issue for the most part, which is something most people don't do. And our housings with HIDs, as long as they're at the proper focal point (cheap china X brands have various focal points which screw up the output and light goes all over the place), will not be as bad as he says. Our housings are actually nowhere near as bad as most cars when it comes to HIDs in a halogen reflector, if I still had my factory housings I'd show you a pic of how our reflectors have a, somewhat, cutoff of light.

And the 08-09 taurus and your Mercedes HID reflectors, they are designed to have smoother and wider output because of the brighter light source. Also they're designed to have a more distinguishable cutoff in light to prevent blinding oncoming or drivers directly in front of you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LoL, any halogen reflector will blind oncoming drivers after installing HIDs because halogen reflectors are aimed higher for better distance since the light source is so dim. However, aiming AFTER installing HIDs will prevent this issue for the most part, which is something most people don't do. And our housings with HIDs, as long as they're at the proper focal point (cheap china X brands have various focal points which screw up the output and light goes all over the place), will not be as bad as he says. Our housings are actually nowhere near as bad as most cars when it comes to HIDs in a halogen reflector, if I still had my factory housings I'd show you a pic of how our reflectors have a, somewhat, cutoff of light.

And the 08-09 taurus and your Mercedes HID reflectors, they are designed to have smoother and wider output because of the brighter light source. Also they're designed to have a more distinguishable cutoff in light to prevent blinding oncoming or drivers directly in front of you.
Point remains...people are putting HIDs in...and if properly aimed...they don't blind oncoming drivers.

My Merc was built in 99...I looked and looked...I couldn't find a single projector in any consumer vehicle from 99. Tons of aftermakert though. My Merc...uses the same lens as the halogen housing. We had this debate on our forum when I instructed the first members how to install HIDs. Same part numbers and all.

Regardless of whether we should or shouldnt install HIDs...that is not my fight with folks. I am simply providing a how to for install.

·
Registered
367 Posts
nvm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts