Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All.

I have a 96 GL and have been reading about the HID replacements.

What is the best harness to upgrade to and what bulb would be good for all-weather.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Real HID's? or those "hid hyperwhite" bulbs on ebay? Ive heard hid kits are not made to run in stock housings, unless they are projector, but then again, nissan maximas have them in a non-projector housing, hmm. O well, I have sylvania silverstars and they are really a lot whiter than the stockers, had em in for 3 years now with no problems. You could also try making a harness of your own if you are electrically competent.
-bobby

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
The Sylvannia Xtravisions aren't HIDs but it's a good suggestion. :thumb:
I would had gone with SUVLights harness and Slyvannia Silverstar Ultras.

I'm not all that familiar with which HID bulbs are good especially when there seems to be so many companys that make them. I do know that McCollough (SP?) is one of the leading manufacturers; they are found stock on some europeans cars.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Personally, IMO Without projectors, HID's are useless and cause more problems than they are worth for vehicles that are not designed for them.

I'd just stick with a HD harness and Sylvania SilverStar Ultras. Often times, you just end up blinding the other person instead of helping your lighting.

Could try HID Projector Fog's though.

For inclement weather I'd recommend Amber Foglamps. Its almost impossible to see in "light" rain (heavy rain with a bright cloudy sky) around here.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
If you have safety inspections where you live, you will not pass with a "plug-in" HID retrofit. You'll lose your high beams (on most kits) and putting HIDs in your halogen housings is illegal and will usually blind the crap out of oncoming traffic.

That said, any bulb will get brighter with the heavy-duty harness. From what I've read, the Xtravisions are supposedly the same bulb as original Silverstars without the coating that makes the light appear so white, but I'm not sure how true it is. Good bulbs, regardless. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts