Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting back into a Taurus. Do any of the current generation have HID or LED headlights?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Only the SHO model has HID projectors to my knowledge. The SE, SEL, and Limited are Halogen.

·
Registered
762 Posts
The SHO's in Canada did not come with the HID's (but are HID capable). As Admiral said only the SHO's has HIDS's (which give off better light disbursement of light than LED's.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The SHO's in Canada did not come with the HID's (but are HID capable). As Admiral said only the SHO's has HIDS's (which give off better light disbursement of light than LED's.

Really? The Canadian models didn't come with HIDs? Odd.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Really? The Canadian models didn't come with HIDs? Odd.

No they didn't, not too sure exactly why. In Canada we don't get full usage of SIRIUS either -most features are US only.

·
Registered
716 Posts
So with the headlights its just a matter of installing a HID module and bulbs?

And with the Sirius radio, you could just register to it a family member or something in the US and get all the features couldnt you?

·
Registered
344 Posts
So with the headlights its just a matter of installing a HID module and bulbs?

And with the Sirius radio, you could just register to it a family member or something in the US and get all the features couldnt you?

As far as Sirius, I'm unsure of how that works.

With HIDs, a better projector must be retrofitted into the housing to accommodate the light output of an HID and properly cut off and disperse the beam pattern. Otherwise, just swapping in an HID bulb into a housing not built for them isn't legal.

·
Premium Member
3,017 Posts
I think (don't quote me) this had more to do with the fact that the body electronics didn't (at the time) support DRLs on any other bulb than the headlamps--the PWM/reduced load would have killed the ballasts.

That got fixed in 2013 when the BCM began to support the parking lights as DRLs. I expect Canada would have gotten HID at this point on SHO, but can't confirm.

Last I knew it's not as easy as swapping headlamp assemblies and ballasts. The pinouts at a minimum are different between the assemblies and how the BCM supplies power varies as well. As far as swapping bulbs, not legal and for good reasons as others have stated.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I think (don't quote me) this had more to do with the fact that the body electronics didn't (at the time) support DRLs on any other bulb than the headlamps--the PWM/reduced load would have killed the ballasts.

That got fixed in 2013 when the BCM began to support the parking lights as DRLs. I expect Canada would have gotten HID at this point on SHO, but can't confirm.

Last I knew it's not as easy as swapping headlamp assemblies and ballasts. The pinouts at a minimum are different between the assemblies and how the BCM supplies power varies as well. As far as swapping bulbs, not legal and for good reasons as others have stated.

I am not too sure if we did get the HIDs' - a friend has a 2014 with no HID's either, however maybe the newer models did get them. I am not too fussed, had to replace a headlight bulb last week...$60 as opposed to $190 for the HID bulb.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2017 SHO (canada) and I don't have HID's. Only Halogen and I want to replace them with HIDs. One place told me that he has always had issues with top end models where the lights will work and sometimes they won't.

Is this because of the automatic on lights when you start that I've read about? What's the way around this other than keeping the lights off until after you turn the car on?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2017 SHO (canada) and I don't have HID's. Only Halogen and I want to replace them with HIDs. One place told me that he has always had issues with top end models where the lights will work and sometimes they won't.

Is this because of the automatic on lights when you start that I've read about? What's the way around this other than keeping the lights off until after you turn the car on?

I had the HID's fitted to my 2010 and I had issues after a while and that's why I didn't bother with my 2013. However a neighbour had a visitor over yesterday who had a 2015 with HID's and he said he has had no issues with them.

Also I doubt the dealerships will touch them should they need repair or start to cause issues etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The dealer said they don't do it. This was an after marker shop that does stereo's lights etc. I'm just wondering if it's worth it or if I will have trouble.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Interesting. I haven't had a single issue with mine so far. So essentially when you move the shift lever into drive, it'll trigger the BCM with a 12v signal to activate the running lights (the halogens). This signal will blow out HIDs as they do not have a low voltage option. They are either on or off.

However, from briefly reading through this, it's sounding like there's issues people describe with the HIDs because of the running lights? I believe with some programming, you can make the running lights the park lights or the fog light strip things. I just outright turned mine off since my halos and fog lights are my running lights anyway. Very interesting as I thought ALL SHOs came with HIDs.

·
Premium Member
3,017 Posts
You'll have to let me know if the strips can be DRLs--I think that was a Lincoln only thing.

AFAIK, your only options on Taurus for DRLs is low beams with PWM, or turn signal lamps on full bright.

·
Registered
344 Posts
You'll have to let me know if the strips can be DRLs--I think that was a Lincoln only thing.

AFAIK, your only options on Taurus for DRLs is low beams with PWM, or turn signal lamps on full bright.

I can take a peek. I was pretty sure that was an option programing wise, however the park lights can be running lights or you can outright disable the running lights.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2018 Taurus Limited. I purchased and installed an HID kit from a local shop. The Halogen housing is a projector type, the same as the HID housing with the shutter for low beam. I have been running these for over a year now and they work great, absolutely no issues. The kit came with all parts needed specifically for newer Fords. The bulbs are Morimo XB (H Series) B411.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts