Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right here is the problem. I have had an HID kit on my Taurus for about a year now and today i have just had a problem with it.

My passenger side light its way brighter(normal) than my driverside(very Dim).

The lights come on and warm up but after about a min you can definatly tell that the driverside is not as bright as it should, its still working but not like it should be.

I have checked all the connections, all grounds, all fuses, all ballast voltage(same voltage for both sides)

What could be my problem here? I am lost, pissed, and dont know what to do with it...lol

Any help would be GREAT!

Thanks

·
Registered
173 Posts
Right here is the problem. I have had an HID kit on my Taurus for about a year now and today i have just had a problem with it.

My passenger side light its way brighter(normal) than my driverside(very Dim).

The lights come on and warm up but after about a min you can definatly tell that the driverside is not as bright as it should, its still working but not like it should be.

I have checked all the connections, all grounds, all fuses, all ballast voltage(same voltage for both sides)

What could be my problem here? I am lost, pissed, and dont know what to do with it...lol

Any help would be GREAT!

Thanks
What type of ballast do you have? Sounds like you just need a new HID bulb, with my previous readings HID bulbs get dimmer as the time go on. To test that this is true, switch the two bulbs around. In theory the other side (with bad bulb) should be dim while the good bulb should be bright on the drivers side.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What type of ballast do you have? Sounds like you just need a new HID bulb, with my previous readings HID bulbs get dimmer as the time go on. To test that this is true, switch the two bulbs around. In theory the other side (with bad bulb) should be dim while the good bulb should be bright on the drivers side.

okay i can try switching the bulbs around.....as for the ballast off hand not sure what brand they are, would have to go out and look.

As for the longevity.....the wierd thing is i have only had them for about a year....is that possible to go bad this early?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
What kit did you use? VLED? I've had great experience with my DDM kit. Worked right out of the box.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mine worked right out of the box. the only issue is that i am stationed in England so some of these kits are hard to get because they dont ship the an APO address.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Let us know how the switching bulbs and ballast turns out, this will further tell us what is going on.

I switched bulbs around and as was mentioned the bulb was the suspect. I took them out and noticed that one of them was farely black. So if my assumtion is correct then that bulb is bad.

I have put the stock bulbs back in :( and they will do fine but i am wanting a new set. Not to pleased that the set i have are bad after a year.

So, what are the companies that most people go with? How long have the kits baught last? I know they should last a long time but has anyone had a problem yet with theirs?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I recommend DDM. I have those on my Mazda. Remember to clean the bulbs with denatured alcohol and make sure to handle the bulbs carefully or with gloves that won't leave your oils behind on the bulb. Chances are since you mentioned a blackened bulb, the bulb burned out due to a hot spot caused by an oil deposit due to improper handling.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I recommend DDM. I have those on my Mazda. Remember to clean the bulbs with denatured alcohol and make sure to handle the bulbs carefully or with gloves that won't leave your oils behind on the bulb. Chances are since you mentioned a blackened bulb, the bulb burned out due to a hot spot caused by an oil deposit due to improper handling.

But after a year the bulb burns out. my thoughts would be that if there was oil on it then it woul dhave burnt out right then and there once it got hot....but anyhow i am going to order a new set. gunna research both companies mentioned and go with the one that will ship here to England.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
173 Posts
But after a year the bulb burns out. my thoughts would be that if there was oil on it then it woul dhave burnt out right then and there once it got hot....but anyhow i am going to order a new set. gunna research both companies mentioned and go with the one that will ship here to England.

Thanks again!
DDM isn't to reliable with the bulbs, I would go with the better quality if you can afford. I have read that DDM bulbs have thinner glass, and some don't even come tested, but do some research between the two and find what fites the best.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts