Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just purchased an HID kit from a local distributor in Canada. The kit looks EXACTLY IDENTICAL to the one in the following picture, only it didn't include the harnesses on the left that i circled in yellow.

That is a relay harness. I am no expert in HID kits so im not sure why that would be needed. My kit is for a 9007 setup. I installed the kit and disabled the DRL because the lights were flickering on and off when the light switch was in the OFF position, but the HIDs light up nicely when the switch is in the ON position. However when the lights are turned to the ON position, the high-beam light appears in the dash. The high beams dont do anything when i pull the High-beam leaver towards me, however when i push it forward, the lights take a second and then it shuts the left(drivers) side headlight off and leaves the right one on. The high-beam signal on the dash is always on in all these cases.

Now... the kit came with the following type of bulb (only its a 9007 type):

It is a 2 bulb design with a halogen beside the xenon. What is the extra bulb for? Is that a high beam or a DRL replacement? And the most important question, do i need that extra wiring from the first picture in order for the system to work properly?

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Well looks like you got everything for the kit but most of them come without the relay harness which I believe is the harness you connect to your stock 9007 and will get rid away from that flickering because this HID bulbs draw a lot of power for your stock harness so that is require to handle the extra power from the HID kit. You can get that heavy duty harness from ebay or Summit Racing where I got mine from. As for the bulbs I don't know but it looks like its a bi-xenon bulb I guess.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thanks for the quick reply. From farther reading, as far as i understand, and as you have mentioned, the harness with the relay is to draw power from the battery instead of the stock harness in order to prevent it from melting. I just checked on the vendors website and it mentions he should include it, so now i am pissed off that he didnt give it to me. I will definitely call him and get the harness from him, but in the mean time i am still trying to figure out what the bulb type is and how i can get it to work properly.

P.S. Should i take the HIDs out for now, am i risking burning the cables if i leave them in for one night. Ill be going on a 2 hr drive tomorrow night. It ll be -8C here though?

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Well most of the HID kits are plug and play so you can use them without the harness however once you turn them on those will draw more power for you stock harness and possibly discharge the battery slowly, depends how old is the battery though. I had them like that in the Stratus and it was fine but I tell you this because a friend of mine had it like that and the battery got drained causing not to be able start up the car. Sometimes that doesn't always happen so you might be ok having the kit like that, that harness is good to have it so you won't have this kind of problems.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so from what i gather, the battery harness with relay helps prevent the stock wires from getting hot and any other issues. Ide appreciate it if someone can clarify what kind of bulb that is? And how i would get it to work properly with the Halogen bulb. Thanks.

·
Registered
402 Posts
That is a type of bi xenon headlight. With the xenon bulb used as a low beam and a halogen bulb used as a high beam. You do need the wire harness for that bulb to work properly and it appears that your missing it. I'd go back to wherever you bought your kit and get one or return it if they don't give you one. And as a precautionary measure I would unplug the xenon bulbs until they were wired up properly. Also since you have DRL make sure once your all done with the new setup that your DRL are disabled. DRL and xenon don't mix.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
you definitely need that....

As far as the high beam goes, ive installed mine 2 times on my sable and the highbeams have never worked, they actually point down when i flick them and when i push the bar out nothing happens, actually trying to fix that right now......

·
Registered
402 Posts
QUOTE (s2knott @ Mar 1 2009, 09:08 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=704113
you definitely need that....

As far as the high beam goes, ive installed mine 2 times on my sable and the highbeams have never worked, they actually point down when i flick them and when i push the bar out nothing happens, actually trying to fix that right now......[/b]
Sounds like you have the kind that have just the one xenon bulb that moves for high beams correct? Because his xenon bulb doesn't move. He's got a halogen bulb that's used for the high beams.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm, ok thanks for the info. Thats exactly what i was planning on doing. Im going monday to him since he doesnt work sundays, and if he refuses to give me the wiring harness, im definitely returning it. Im really pissed off at this point, because i knew it was suppose to include a battery wire with a relay (i just didnt know what the use of it was) and i even asked him if it should. And the little weasel had the balls to tell it to my face that i dont need it. The question is, should i bring a gun along with me? HAHAHA :p jkz

1 - 9 of 9 Posts