Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive noticed recently that as the years go by, the headlights on my 96 GL wagon get crappier and crappier. Ive been doing some research about HID conversions and i was wondering if anyone had any recommendations about it. Is it hard to modify stock headlights to an HID kit? Should i get new light assemblies before starting this project? Is there a way to reduce the yellowing on the lenses at all or should i just junk them and get new ones? I like this kit here:

Ford TAURUS HID Kits Ford TAURUS Xenon Lights Ford TAURUS HIDs headlights Conversions Ford TAURUS bulbs

but am open to any recommendations/comments that anyone can give me. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
I would say don't do it. It is illegal in some areas and if not done right which is most of the time you can blind oncoming traffic. Also the housings are not designed for HID's.

I would fix the root problems and you will get better lighting back. First replace the housing or buff it to remove the yellowing. This will fix 90% of the problem. You can then go for a headlight harness from SUVlights and Sylvania Silverstars for better lighting. With this you will see a vast improvement.

If you must do HID's replace the housing and get a headlight harness.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
I have a 6000K HID kit installed on my taurus and have had no issues with them. I re-aligned the headlamps to prevent blinding other drivers from direct glare. I also have another 6000K kit in my lights, however I only run them when no traffic is around. The driving lights have two bulb location in it, I keep the regular bulbs for normal driving, and the HID for additional light on the highway. The HID kit is basically just plug in play, there's no modification needed. You just have to find a place to mount the ballasts.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Or you can go the route of using HIR w/ headlight harness from SUVlights. Those can get pretty bright.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I would also recommend not doing it. You can get excellent results with a good relay harness instead that will give you full output from stock type bulbs. My '94 Aerostar, a vehicle not know for bright headlights, could light up reflectors a mile away, with Sylvania Xtravision bulbs, by just using a relay harness to get full power to the bulbs. All this without blinding anyone. From a distance, the headlights look just like ordinary headlights. From other cars, they look just fine. The difference is the amount of light they shine on the road.

Silverstar bulbs are not brighter and do not help you see better, they are about 15% dimmer than Xtravision bulbs, they burn out faster, and cost more. They use coated lenses to remove some of the yellow light, creating a whiter appearance, which your eyes perceive to be brighter. I would recommend the Xtravision bulbs.

·
Registered
294 Posts
its easy as pie to do it. like intimidator said, aim them right and you'll be golden. also if you're really worried about blinding people, don't buy colored ones. just get between 6000k and 4300k. 6000k being white and the lower you go the "yellower" it gets. i bet if you drove by these HID haters with a 5000k or 4300k kit, they wouldn't even know you had hid's in. people mostly complain about the blue or purple coloring.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would not recommend doing it that way. I had been debating on doing it and finally caved in. Bought a kit pretty much like that from an HID place on Ebay and have had nothing but trouble. My drivers light always flickers and the passenger now after two weeks, has no high beam at all. I was given this link by another member but originally ignored it because of price. I now plan on returning my HID lights and buying this. Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (H1) - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc
The things about the light dissipating is true as well. My low beams worked perfectly but when I put the high on, they wouldn't reflect right without the whole projector assembly listed in the link above. So I pretty much did not have High Beams at all, they were useless. Instead, I just angled my low beams up a little more and then they were as bright as high beams on any car I've had. Only problem is that I was probably blinding people. I had the 8000k lights to match the bluish LED strips I have on my front bumper and still havn't got pulled over after driving by multiple cops.

All in all, I would seriously recommend spending the extra money to buy the whole retrofit kit so that everything works the way it should and you won't be blinding people as you drive. Just my 2cents

·
Registered
157 Posts
The signature picture isn't with the HID lights, those are the sylvania Ultra lights. I just don't have an updated pic yet =P

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
There is no aiming you can do to make an HID conversion either safe or legal. Even stock HID setups like those found in the Toyota Avalon (which use the 4300K) are proving that they have excessive glare, and minimize the amount of seeing you can do while making you believe that you can see better. Why would you want to "upgrade" to that?

You are much better off doing the modifications to get full power to your stock bulbs, the difference is almost unbelievable. Then all you have to do is make sure your lenses are clear and that the headlights are aimed correctly.

The biggest areas where HIDs fall on their face, and make driving hazardous are:
anytime there is oncoming traffic
anytime there is rain
anytime their is fog
anytime there is snow
anytime you are in total darkness
anytime there are wild animals that could dart into the road, particularly large ones

·
Registered
294 Posts
I would not recommend doing it that way. I had been debating on doing it and finally caved in. Bought a kit pretty much like that from an HID place on Ebay and have had nothing but trouble. My drivers light always flickers and the passenger now after two weeks, has no high beam at all. I was given this link by another member but originally ignored it because of price. I now plan on returning my HID lights and buying this. Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (H1) - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc
The things about the light dissipating is true as well. My low beams worked perfectly but when I put the high on, they wouldn't reflect right without the whole projector assembly listed in the link above. So I pretty much did not have High Beams at all, they were useless. Instead, I just angled my low beams up a little more and then they were as bright as high beams on any car I've had. Only problem is that I was probably blinding people. I had the 8000k lights to match the bluish LED strips I have on my front bumper and still havn't got pulled over after driving by multiple cops.

All in all, I would seriously recommend spending the extra money to buy the whole retrofit kit so that everything works the way it should and you won't be blinding people as you drive. Just my 2cents
you must have bought one crappy kit if theyre going out like that. ive had no problems with my kits. i only bought a second one because i accidentally poured washer fluid all over one of the ballasts lol. and yeah bixenon high beams really just angle them up a little, not that great, but what you can get, is a kit that has standard halogen high beams, it has 2 bulbs basically. the hid low beam and an extra halogen bulb on it for high beams. one of my friends had that on his taurus before he switched to a new scion tc.

·
Registered
294 Posts
There is no aiming you can do to make an HID conversion either safe or legal. Even stock HID setups like those found in the Toyota Avalon (which use the 4300K) are proving that they have excessive glare, and minimize the amount of seeing you can do while making you believe that you can see better. Why would you want to "upgrade" to that?

You are much better off doing the modifications to get full power to your stock bulbs, the difference is almost unbelievable. Then all you have to do is make sure your lenses are clear and that the headlights are aimed correctly.

The biggest areas where HIDs fall on their face, and make driving hazardous are:
anytime there is rain
anytime their is fog
anytime there is snow
anytime there are wild animals that could dart into the road, particularly large ones
hids help in all these areas. theyre brighter for a reason. and yes you should put them in projectors to be proper and perfect. it creates a way better beam. like ive said a million times, i get more blinded by people with trucks that have higher set lights than cars with hid kits. and it usually isnt blinding, its just distraction from the blue that people confuse with blinding. although a lot of ricers out there dont know how to aim them. i wish you people could just see my damn car and let me follow you. i would not blind you guaranteed. there is no light being reflected above the bumper of the person in front of me. ive never had a complaint from any of my friends i follow or anybody for that matter. only one time that i put my new centennials in and they were aimed improperly out of the box so i drove for a day with them aimed so high, i got high beamed so much that day lol.

not trying to start an argument, but i went back to my stock bulbs for a few days because i got an inspection, and boy what a difference. so dim, the g4 housing sucks lol. i got in my moms new malibu and her stock bulbs are wayyyyyyyy better in that housing. i put my hid kit back in so fast, i can see way better. i contemplate getting a 6000k white kit a lot to get rid of the light blue, but i keep remembering i bought them originally for the color and brightness.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts

anytime there is rain
anytime their is fog
anytime there is snow

hids help in all these areas. theyre brighter for a reason. and yes you should put them in projectors to be proper and perfect. it creates a way better beam. like ive said a million times, i get more blinded by people with trucks that have higher set lights than cars with hid kits. and it usually isnt blinding, its just distraction from the blue that people confuse with blinding. although a lot of ricers out there dont know how to aim them. i wish you people could just see my damn car and let me follow you. i would not blind you guaranteed. there is no light being reflected above the bumper of the person in front of me. ive never had a complaint from any of my friends i follow or anybody for that matter. only one time that i put my new centennials in and they were aimed improperly out of the box so i drove for a day with them aimed so high, i got high beamed so much that day lol.

not trying to start an argument, but i went back to my stock bulbs for a few days because i got an inspection, and boy what a difference. so dim, the g4 housing sucks lol. i got in my moms new malibu and her stock bulbs are wayyyyyyyy better in that housing. i put my hid kit back in so fast, i can see way better. i contemplate getting a 6000k white kit a lot to get rid of the light blue, but i keep remembering i bought them originally for the color and brightness.
KhanTyranitar your correct in saying they are illegal. And the reason they are illegal is because people don't take the time to aim and properly mount everything. As far as being brighter ofcouse they are bright but you have to take responsibility and correct the manufacture flaws if you choose to use after market. Im not sure if you understand what a cut off is but it prevents you from blinding oncoming traffic if aimed correctly. Heres some examples of how to do it correctly.

Mounting

Aiming Incorrectly (Low Beam: left is higher than the right)

Aimed Correctly (low beam / high beam)

in the end its all about the cut off line

Also if you wanted to get even more into it you could change out the stock projector lenses and add replica (crystal clear) lenses. the difference is night and day. Like guitarEd182 said 4200k is the sweet spot so look for some bulbs in that range which is what Im using it them pics there.

That's my 2 cents. Its worth exactly what you paid for it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
i understand all of this lol. i never argued the fact that they are illegal or that you should use projectors. i agree you should use projectors. i would, if i had the money. i also am very skeptical about opening up my headlight. i feel like ill screw something up. thats why i havent done it. but if u got the money and the confidence, it is worth it.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
i understand all of this lol. i never argued the fact that they are illegal or that you should use projectors. i agree you should use projectors. i would, if i had the money. i also am very skeptical about opening up my headlight. i feel like ill screw something up. thats why i havent done it. but if u got the money and the confidence, it is worth it.
I was talking to KhanTyranitar I just included your response in to quote to somewhat confirm what you said.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Most kit nowadays don't come with mounting brackets they come with double-sided tape so order the brackets because the tape never holds up, even with 3m tape it just doesn't last...

PS: Find good grounds close to the ballasts

1 - 15 of 15 Posts