Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I bought myself a 97 Taurus G on the cheap, paid a whopping $1200 to a friend of a friend who was moving out of town and wanted rid of it asap. For a seven year old car (and my first ever and 28 years old!!!!) it has worked out 'ok'. The prior owner didnt put a lot of work into maintenence and I kinda got ripped off at the place I was taking it into. I finally got myself a reliable, cheap and honest mechanic (you know the kind that troubleshoots from the cheap end up and does not miss the $40 repair in the process) and things are looking up. At 72,000 miles though it should have plenty of miles left in it if I take care of it and I mean to do that.

Being new to driving and car ownership and all I guess I was a sucker waiting to be taken for a ride but since then I have decided to learn all I can and do all I can with the car on my own. After surfing around the net for a while I finally came across this site and its been great reading so far and has filled my head with all kindsa ideas - I guess I'll be posting some questions in the relevent forums soon enough.

Is there anybody in/around Kenosha Wisconsin? As a guy new to cars, driving and well - just about everything on four wheels it'd be nice to be able to work on stuff with somebody who knows what they are doing. Or just drive out and see what you have done with your Taurus.

Also - the 97 Taurus G - I dont see much mention of them anywhere. I assume it was somewhere near the entry level for the line and was abandoned by Ford -- any idea?!

I guess the really lame question (but I need to ask) is what I can get to safely get my car into a position where I can work on the underside of it. I dont have a garage will be forced to work on the car on the side of a (very quiet) street. I've seen a car slip off a jack before and dont much fancy that happening while I am underneath it. :D

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Welcome to TCCA, I hope you find the site helpful.

For $1200, you got a pretty nice car. You can't get anything for that price. I don't think you got ripped off at all. As you said, after fixing a few things you got yourself a nice car.

The Taurus G was the base level Taurus. All that means is that the standard feature list was shorter.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Originally posted by TheEnglishman@Jul 4 2004, 07:29 PM
Last year I bought myself a 97 Taurus G on the cheap, paid a whopping $1200 to a friend of a friend who was moving out of town and wanted rid of it asap. For a seven year old car (and my first ever and 28 years old!!!!) it has worked out 'ok'. The prior owner didnt put a lot of work into maintenence and I kinda got ripped off at the place I was taking it into. I finally got myself a reliable, cheap and honest mechanic (you know the kind that troubleshoots from the cheap end up and does not miss the $40 repair in the process) and things are looking up. At 72,000 miles though it should have plenty of miles left in it if I take care of it and I mean to do that.

Being new to driving and car ownership and all I guess I was a sucker waiting to be taken for a ride but since then I have decided to learn all I can and do all I can with the car on my own. After surfing around the net for a while I finally came across this site and its been great reading so far and has filled my head with all kindsa ideas - I guess I'll be posting some questions in the relevent forums soon enough.

Is there anybody in/around Kenosha Wisconsin? As a guy new to cars, driving and well - just about everything on four wheels it'd be nice to be able to work on stuff with somebody who knows what they are doing. Or just drive out and see what you have done with your Taurus.

Also - the 97 Taurus G - I dont see much mention of them anywhere. I assume it was somewhere near the entry level for the line and was abandoned by Ford -- any idea?!

I guess the really lame question (but I need to ask) is what I can get to safely get my car into a position where I can work on the underside of it. I dont have a garage will be forced to work on the car on the side of a (very quiet) street. I've seen a car slip off a jack before and dont much fancy that happening while I am underneath it. :D
Hey there :)

Where in UK are you from? Welcome onboard :D

-John

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Welcome to the club!

Try getting some ramps and drive up on those. They will give it clearance to work under the car and it will be less likely to tip over and/or fall.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by FVT@Jul 4 2004, 07:54 PM

Where in UK are you from? Welcome onboard :D

-John
A little place called London -- :D -- I never needed to drive before I got here because the public transport was so good. Its kind of a shame, I really enjoy it :D

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Originally posted by TheEnglishman+Jul 4 2004, 08:31 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TheEnglishman @ Jul 4 2004, 08:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-FVT@Jul 4 2004, 07:54 PM

Where in UK are you from?  Welcome onboard :D

-John
A little place called London -- :D -- I never needed to drive before I got here because the public transport was so good. Its kind of a shame, I really enjoy it :D [/b][/quote]
Nice place. What was the reason that you moved here? :) i suppose for business or work purposes? Very nice place though. Familiar with Manchester? :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Qwertz9586 -- Autozone sell a pair of Blitz Rhine Ramps but they dont give dimensions on height. Is anybody familier with them or know of any good outlets for similar products? I was thinking of trundling over to Menards to see if they had any - is there a specific or minimum height I should be looking for?

Re Manchester: Only been there to see Manchester United and Manchester City vs my beloved Arsenal ('football'), so my only experience of the town is the inside of Bars, Stadia and Railways Stations.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Originally posted by TheEnglishman@Jul 4 2004, 10:42 PM
Qwertz9586 -- Autozone sell a pair of Blitz Rhine Ramps but they dont give dimensions on height. Is anybody familier with them or know of any good outlets for similar products? I was thinking of trundling over to Menards to see if they had any - is there a specific or minimum height I should be looking for?

Re Manchester: Only been there to see Manchester United and Manchester City vs my beloved Arsenal ('football'), so my only experience of the town is the inside of Bars, Stadia and Railways Stations.
I've seen what youre talking about...they probably lift the car 9-11 inches off the ground (24-27 cm?). That should give plenty of clearance, and be easier and quicker to change oil and other things under the car. If you want to change tires or something like that however, I'd also get a pair of jackstands to supplement the tire jack you already have...lift the car up enough with the tire jack to put it on the jackstand. They are more stable and safe to work with than the tire jack. The ramps usually go for $20. Right now, I see a sale on the ramps at Pepboys (if you have that chain of stores in your area) for under $18. Jack stands shouldn't cost more than $15 for a pair...

Welcome to the club!

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I wouldn't recommend using the scissor jack that came with the car unless it's your last option. I'd recommend getting a 2-3 ton floor jack with the jack stands.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
I'd just get one of those hydraulic jacks that you occasionally see on sale at Sears for $30. It's usually some kind of kit with the jack stands. Basically with a cheap jack like that, you want to make sure you don't over tighten the screw that lowers the jack, but you do want it tight when raising the car.

You could also get a set of wheel chocks or always remember to set the emergency brake when working on the car.

I've always heard of jacks failing and falling on people, but it's happened. Think I saw a show once where they found a guy's body that had been under the car for 4 days because the jack failed and the car fell on him and killed him. Of course in that case it was really bad, he was using one of those old bumper jacks and he must have kicked it by accident and the car fell on him. Oh yeah, once you jack the car up, also take the handle out of the jack so you don't trip over it. Oh and also use jack stands once the car is jacked up in case the jack ever fails for whatever reason. You're going to trust your life to a $30 jack?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts