Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey new guy here, I have a 90 3.0L wagon with 93k on the clock.
Ok so my problem is that my distributor came off. My wife was driving home this morning from work and she got maybe a mile out of her work and the car died. So we have had the normal (hot day stall problem), but that normally happens when she's been driving long periods of time with AC full. anyway this was not the case I tested to see if it was getting gas and yes it was so I just randomly put my hand on the distributor cap and the whole distrubutor was loose so I pushed it back in and car started, it ran like crap cause the timing is off but we got it home. So at home I try to see of it was a clamp that came loose or something but it seems that nothing holds it down. So has any else had this happen to them I searched but I found nothing, and so do I need a new distributor or how is it meant to stay in.

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
There is a fork shaped clamp that holds dist base to the lower intake with 1 bolt. Sounds like the bolt loosened, and fell out and the clamp slipped off. I bet the clamp and bolt are laying there somewhere on the lower intake. Check dist drive gear and cam gear for damage. If gears are OK, find the clamp & bolt or get replacements from the JY. Set base timing to 10 deg BTDC with the SPOUT connector unplugged.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok gears are fine no problems there I'll look this weekend and see if I can find the clamp. Before I take it to the mechanic also how do I set the timing 10 deg what a what a....... sorry I got lost.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts