Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm new to the site. I just purchased a 97 GL last night for a couple hundred bucks. There's an issue with the transmission and I was curious if some of the experts on here could pinpoint the problem. When you drive it in regular drive (not overdrive) it shifts fine and has no issues. When you drive it in overdrive it does fine until you stop, when you go to take off again from a complete stop it acts as if it is in neutral and you have to put it in reverse then back into overdrive for it to drive... Then when you stop again you have to do that all over again. I've done a little research and it seems like this is probably going to be a sensor... Any idea which one? Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Have you checked to see if it was the shifter cable at all. I know sometimes they get loose and can 'mis-shift'.

·
Registered
68 Posts
What's the condition of the tranny fluid like? Have you checked the dipstick to ensure there's enough in there? Any burnt smell to it? Etc., Etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's the condition of the tranny fluid like? Have you checked the dipstick to ensure there's enough in there? Any burnt smell to it? Etc., Etc.
Yeah, I've checked the tranny fluid. It appears to be good and full. I'm pretty sure it's a sensor, just not sure which one.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
I would check the neutral safety switch/Transmission Range Sensor. Sometimes people don't adjust the TRS properly, and you can get strange behavior that way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts