Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had ever bought a starter for my 2002 ford taurus with 3.0L engine from autozone,as we all know,it had core charge.
So a ford taurus starter cost at autozone is over $200.But it died after 3 years.
Now I don't have much money because I lose my job even can't pay the rent.
But my car need to back on road asap.
From other forums,I learned that Hexautoparts has amonuts of cheap starter replacement for sale but a few members had a try.
Is it okay to order hexautoparts starter ?
Any feedback in this forum ?
Thanks a lot.

·
Super Moderator
7,699 Posts
Usual starter failure is worn brushes. You can buy replacement brushes on Ebay for around $10 and replace them yourself. Easy job. If the solenoid isnt pulling it, it can be replaced easily for around $10 with a new one from Ebay.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Check your receipt to see if the starter you bought has a lifetime warranty. I have replaced the starter on my '02 three times, the past two were a lifetime warranty on a NAPA unit. I was told that rebuild units are questionable compared to new ones.

·
Registered
6,579 Posts
I believe one of the main reasons a Taurus starter fails is the leakage of oil from the oil filter when oil is changed. If you are careful and place a rag under the filter it prevents that issue. Never had starter issues in 25 years of owning Taurus, some with 250k miles on them and 19 years old. It runs down on the starter and goes inside. Add brush and road dust and you get the brush area packed with crud.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
Automender12345
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing