Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an engine code that seems to haunt me no matter what I do or repair on my 2001 Ford Taurus and its 3.0L V6 Vulcan engine.

It's a P0301 engine code; obviously this means an alleged cylinder #1 misfire. Since this code was thrown at me almost six months ago I have replaced all the spark plugs, all the spark plug wires, the coil pack, in-line fuel filter and even the cylinder 1 injector. Trust me, I've VERY mechanically inclined but unfortunately my specialty is diesel mechanics so I'm at a loss with my car and I'm certain that all the repairs done thus far have been executed correctly.

Let me tell you what all the symptoms are and some history:
- Stuttering
- Randomly stops stuttering and will “take-off” once it gains full power while driving
- Sometimes the check engine light will flash when I begin a drive, but most times it stays on constantly
- Also, all this engine code stuff coincidently started when I had a local mechanic replace the heater coil and the right front ball joint. The first drive after this repair the engine light came on so I pulled over and noticed the vacuum line weren’t connected. I connected them and disconnected the battery to reset the code and continued with my trip.
- This is new though, it threw three codes: P0301, P0000, and P0000
- Doesn’t matter what the RPM’s are, it always stutters now
- It’s gotten gradually worse over the six months

·
Super Moderator
8,623 Posts
Base engine concern? Have you checked compression?

Have you used a NOID light to be sure the PCM is in fact firing the injector?

There is no P0000 code. Do you mean P1000? If so, that means that all IM monitors are not complete, likely due to the batt disconnect clearing the KAM.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
If your car is approaching 10-years old and/or 100K miles, check for leaky intake manifold gaskets. Leaky manifold gaskets will not only cause misfires but makes the engine stumble at idle.

Monsoon

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,405 Posts
I have an engine code that seems to haunt me no matter what I do or repair on my 2001 Ford Taurus and its 3.0L V6 Vulcan engine.

It's a P0301 engine code; obviously this means an alleged cylinder #1 misfire. Since this code was thrown at me almost six months ago I have replaced all the spark plugs, all the spark plug wires, the coil pack, in-line fuel filter and even the cylinder 1 injector. Trust me, I've VERY mechanically inclined but unfortunately my specialty is diesel mechanics so I'm at a loss with my car and I'm certain that all the repairs done thus far have been executed correctly.

Let me tell you what all the symptoms are and some history:
- Stuttering
- Randomly stops stuttering and will “take-off” once it gains full power while driving
- Sometimes the check engine light will flash when I begin a drive, but most times it stays on constantly
- Also, all this engine code stuff coincidently started when I had a local mechanic replace the heater coil and the right front ball joint. The first drive after this repair the engine light came on so I pulled over and noticed the vacuum line weren’t connected. I connected them and disconnected the battery to reset the code and continued with my trip.
- This is new though, it threw three codes: P0301, P0000, and P0000
- Doesn’t matter what the RPM’s are, it always stutters now
- It’s gotten gradually worse over the six months

I have the same problem, after the mechanic replaced the head gaskets..he said he "couldn't find the problem"..well all I know is it didn't do that before he worked on it!!! same here replaced all plug wires, coil, injecto, anything else that it might have been.
I will follow this thread to find out what will solve my problem as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First I would like to thank you all for your responses, I'm literally stunned by how helpful you all are.

But I have not performed a compression test, noid light test, or leak down test yet. But since you've all recomended it I'm going to an autoparts store today to see if I can rent/buy the necessary equipment. But unfortunately I won't have the time to perform the actual tests until tomorrow evening.

Also Monsoon, I replaced the upper intake manifold gaskets when I swapped the cylinder one injector. But I'll take another look at the lowers for leakage.

Thanks again everybody!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey everybody I did the compression test and found out the head gasket was bad. Replaced it and it seems the problem is fixed! Thanks everyone for your help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts