Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blown head gasket, time to tear it apart, and already running into problems with the intake plenum bolts, they seem to be over torqued and i cant get them to budge (even with a breaker bar) any suggestions?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well, you've got to get those head bolts out. If you've got compressed air use a air-impact gun. If not then you're probably going to have to go the cheater-pipe route with a breaker bar. Since they are torque-to-yeild bolts it is easy to over-tighten since there are not specific torque values for the bolts, but instead depend on angle measurements to tighten.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Use an impact gun or you'll hate yourself when your breaker/cheater combo snaps the bolts.

Either that, or you will break your hand when the socket gives. (Painful personal experience.)

·
Registered
809 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
QUOTE (brenbaus @ May 26 2010, 12:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807009
Blown head gasket, time to tear it apart, and already running into problems with the intake plenum bolts, they seem to be over torqued and i cant get them to budge (even with a breaker bar) any suggestions?[/b]
I'm wondering why in the hell they're that tight to begin with. I just removed my upper and lower intake, no problem. I have an '02 with the 3.0L OHV engine. My upper is plastic and the lower is aluminum I presume. Once you get it off you may want to check carefully for warpage. Just my opinion though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts