Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First and foremost.... thanks to sheila for helping me replace my VSS.

I have a DOHC, 1996 Sable. 196K miles. Transmission started slipping so i took it to a transmission shop... more than normal shavings in the pan. Couple months go by and now.... when in "D"rive... the transmission will not shift out of 1st. When shifted to "2"... transmission with shift through all gears.... including overdrive.... NOW.... when coming to a stop in "2".... there is a HARD SHIFT from 2nd gear to 1st gear. If I stop quickly, there is no hard shift.

A normal drive is.... put vehicle in "2"nd..... drive around... when coming to a stop light... when decelerating..... throw shifter into "D".... to avoid HARD SHIFT... then when completely stopped.... put shifter back into "2"nd. Repeat.

Sheila helped me change the VSS as noted above....
Next was to spray out the IAC... which didn't solve problem.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated....

thanks in advance.

Ryan

·
Registered
23,352 Posts
Dbfruth, aka derbydave, solved harsh (hard) 1-2 shifts on a gen3 vulcan by replacing tps (throttle position sensor)?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have it at a shop right now. After computer diagnostics, computer is reading "d" as "p"ark or neutral. Will update after electrical fix.

·
Registered
23,352 Posts
Were you having any other issues other than the tranny problems? Like temporary loss of power steering, radio, power windows, etc.?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MINIMAL loss of power steering... just thought it was low on fluid.... didn't even occur it was a symptom.... Nothing on the radio... other than the "call" display showing up.... which i disconnected the on board cell phone..... Nothing with the power windows....

thanks again for your help sheila.

ryan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts