Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So My son has a 2009 Ford Taurus SE and it started leaking antifreeze, which i kept adding. I never let it run without. It took me a few weeks to be able to get it to a shop. Well, the check engine light came on and the car started to act like it wanted to shut off at every stop. I took it to the shop and they said it needed a new motor. It turns on fine, never over heated, but the check engine light code says that it needs the cam shaft sensor and that the timing chain is off....... It did mix coolant with the engine oil...... Do i really need a new engine? I have a feeling that it was the water pump...... Please help!

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Yes, you'll want to replace the engine. It's not that it can't be fixed, but in doing so you gamble the money spent, because once coolant gets into the motor, permanent bearing damage and later rod knock/engine failure is much more likely.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What did you decide to do? They make a crate motor now that fixes the internal water pump problem among other issues. It’s pricey, 5,500 plus shipping and install. Or you can buy a remanufactured motor for around 3k be sure to buy only from a well trusted source.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts