Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new member and don't know how or where to post so thought I'd start here. I am having a problem with a 2002 Taurus 3.0 engine. When I step on the brakes and slow down I feel a soft thump just before I stop. Is this a transmission or brake problem? Any help would be appreciated and if I posted this to the wrong forum I am sorry but this site is confusing the heck out of me....thanks, Gerald

·
Registered
18 Posts
You'll need to be more descriptive about the 'thump' that you're referring to. If it only happens when you brake I would suspect that it's not in the tranny. From what you've described so far it sounds like a brake issue. Why not take it somewhere and get an 'estimate' on fixing it. You don't have to let them fix it, but at least you'll know more about what to fix...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (Gerald @ Jul 24 2009, 07:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741686
I am a new member and don't know how or where to post so thought I'd start here. I am having a problem with a 2002 Taurus 3.0 engine. When I step on the brakes and slow down I feel a soft thump just before I stop. Is this a transmission or brake problem? Any help would be appreciated and if I posted this to the wrong forum I am sorry but this site is confusing the heck out of me....thanks, Gerald[/b]
Yes, it only happens when I brake it feels like a soft hit from behind. I will take your suggestion and have it looked at...trying to save money at the moment....aren't we all smile....thanks for your response.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Trans shifting into first gear.
Main Cause: Worn clutches and bands
Secondary Causes: Bad engine mounts, burnt/old trans fluid

At 100k, mine sometimes does it, but its hardly noticeable when it does.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts