Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2003 Taurus se with 150k miles. I drove for about ten minutes and when I parked I noticed the coolant was pouring out someplace on the engine passenger side. After a few minutes completely emptied out. Could it be the fuel pump that is leaking? Coolant was not leaking at all untill this incident. Here is a picture of where coolant was dripping
IMG_20200829_143857556.jpg

·
Registered
6,986 Posts
There are three common leak points on the passenger side. If you have a Vulcan engine it could be the timing cover gasket, a bad water pump seal or a crack in the plastic degas bottle. Other sources can be the degas bottle pressure cap failure(old OEM caps are known to fail) and heater hose in that area that connects to water pump.

Usually the timing cover gasket which is real expensive to fix ($800+) starts to leak slowly and then gets worse. Cracked degas bottle seems to happen fast and also a failed cap. Waterpump usually gives yo a little warning out of the weep hole at the seal area which is design that way to warn you. But that is usually not a massive leak.

Maybe take some pics above this area looking down.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
New water pumps have just one weep hole vs the two from earlier OEM pumps. Timing cover not hard to do, just takes a little time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are three common leak points on the passenger side. If you have a Vulcan engine it could be the timing cover gasket, a bad water pump seal or a crack in the plastic degas bottle. Other sources can be the degas bottle pressure cap failure(old OEM caps are known to fail) and heater hose in that area that connects to water pump.

Usually the timing cover gasket which is real expensive to fix ($800+) starts to leak slowly and then gets worse. Cracked degas bottle seems to happen fast and also a failed cap. Waterpump usually gives yo a little warning out of the weep hole at the seal area which is design that way to warn you. But that is usually not a massive leak.

Maybe take some pics above this area looking down.
Is the "degas bottle" you refer to the coolant reservoir?

·
Super Moderator
8,220 Posts
Yes.... degas bottle = coolant reservoir.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts